specific bass tone

garrett redman

• Members

hi there! i need help from some bass players. i've been trying to get a certain bass tone, but have a very hard time getting it just right. it's similar to "black velvet" but not fretless. it's like a treble-heavy synth, but on an actual electric bass. it's close to the wal bass tone geddy lee has on a few 80's records, and more recently the bass sound for most of the songs off ariana grande's "k bye for now" live album. if you have any tips that could help, i'd appreciate it so much. 

as of right now, the closest i can get is using high mids and the neck pickup (tone control off completely) on my fender jazz bass. this is close, but i'd like to do better.

• Moderators

You might try adding a high pass filter. Just a thought. Some players will turn the high pass up, which cuts the bass, then turn up the bass control. Gives it a different sound, but I don't know if it will give you the sound you're looking for. You might have to get a Wal!

Listening to some Ariana Grande cuts, I have to say that a lot of it sounds like synthesizer to me.

Here's a guy getting a similar sound on Black Velvet with a fretless Stingray. Might need an active bass with the pickup mounted near the bridge, then a lot of bass eq.

I'm just spitballing here.

Archived