Dookietwo IPR3000 Main Outs

• Members

Hey Dookietwo your advice on the IPR settings thread to me were spot on ... since then the local Peavey store owner asked me why I didn't just run the XLR left out from mixer to the left input on IPR3000 for mono mains, and then run a cable from the left thru-out to the right input on the amp since it is feed only for the mono subwoofer, each at 4 ohms, instead of a split cable from left out to the right and left inputs on the amp, he said this is another option ... is he correct or should i stay with what you suggested?

• Members

There have been several different runs of the IPR3000's. Some didn't even have a crossover in them. The ones I remember if you selected Channel A for the High Pass, the channel going to your SP2's , the out jack for Channel A was sending this same signal with the High Pass filter in it as well. So if you went into Channel B from channel A's out there would be no bass in it.  I wasn't exactly sure so my advice was just put a Y cable at the amp feeding both channels. Makes it real easy.  You could try as your dealer suggested but if you find you know longer have bass going to your subs then you'll know why and have to go back to the Y input.  To me it keeps it simple just to put a Y at the input to the amp. 6 to 1 , half dozen to the other.  Again what they suggested may work or not. Either way your going to need a patch cable of one form or the other. There is no difference if the first channel input always allows the full frequency out when its channel crossover is engaged. But when the crossover is engaged on a channel I've seen some of the Peavey amps output only what the crossover was set on so that is why I recommended the Y cable.  

Hope that helps.

Doug 

• Members

One more thing. I like to drive my amps with true Balanced connectors. If you use a 1/4 inch cable to go from channel A's through out to channel B's input be sure to use a TRS cable. Depending on what Peavey used for a circuit those out jacks may be only "quais balanced" Some say just a regular 1/4 inch unbalanced cable is fine for a short run. Does it really make a difference?  In a short runs like that I'd lean on the No side but again it certainly doesn't hurt. The 2nd advantage of a Y cable at the amp is you know you have true balanced inputs going to your 2 channels.  

Doug

• Members

Doug, again you make total sense to me. I already have the Y you suggested, so there is no reason to go buy more cables to try something different and see if it works. Thanks again Doug and thanks for answering so fast. :)

Mike 

Archived