New JBL PRX 600 series

• Members

Again, my speakers are 4-PRX635 & 4-PRX718s.

Would I get more coverage if I ran the PRX635 full range instead of running them out of the PX718s crossover?

Any disadvantages of doing this?

Second question - I was going to buy some PRX612m to use as monitors, but I looked at some and the wedge angle has the speaker pointing a little better than level. It should be a lot sharper angle if used at the feet of musicians. Any suggestions for other monitors?

Thanks

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Again, my speakers are 4-PRX635 & 4-PRX718s.

Would I get more coverage if I ran the PRX635 full range instead of running them out of the PX718s crossover?

Any disadvantages of doing this?

Second question - I was going to buy some PRX612m to use as monitors, but I looked at some and the wedge angle has the speaker pointing a little better than level. It should be a lot sharper angle if used at the feet of musicians. Any suggestions for other monitors?

Thanks

When using subs always feed your tops a high pass signal from your subs. This is how the JBL engineers designed the system.

The coverage pattern of the woofer does not change and while it may seem like you can get more bottom end running the tops full range, what you get is cancellation.

You will have a 15" woofer and a 18" woofer producing the same frequencies at the same time. Im sure the others here can give you a more term-correct definition but in a nut shell, use the crossover high outs on your subs.

You have 4 subs, your system should pound pretty hard already.

• Members

Huge disadvantage is the lack of high pass on the tops. Dumb, dumb, dumb IMO.

Simple adjustment for wedge angle is a 2x4 painted black. All pro audio workboxes contain some.

You are correct agedhorse - my question was dumb, dumb, dumb. It reflects my ignorance. I didn't know - so I asked.

• Members

I purchased a couple of used PRX718s subs. The paint was worn off down to the bare metal on the grill in a few places. I was concerned about rust. I called JBL and the paint is available - for $92 a can!

This is my remedy for $9. I bought a can of Dupli-Color TR 250 Black Truck Bed Coating. After shaking the can up I spayed a little bit into a small plastic disposable container. Using a cotton swap I dabbed the coating onto the bare areas.

It drys to a flat black, and has a pretty thick consistency that when dried, looks about as close as you can get without spending $92.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

How much electricity do I need to run

4 - PRX635 (1500 watts each) and 4 - PRX718s (700 watts each)

I have been told that the PRX series is very efficient, but I have not been a been able to find out what I need to run them all at the same time.

If someone knows and can answer with the amperage needs at 110v-120v I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Members

I would suggest a minimum of 1 x 20 amp (120 volt) circuit. Better with 2 but if you aren't hitting the limiter much, 1 may be ok.

I called JBl last night and talked to a technician. He said that both the PRX635 and the PRX718s have a power requirement of less than 5 amps. He pointed out that the label on the back of the speakers shows the requirement in watts - 600 watts on each of these speakers. Using the formula watts/voltage = amps (600/120 = 5) I came up with the same number.

I learned that code in my area allows 80% use of the rating of a circuit, so a 20amp circuit should only be loaded up to 16 amps. Using that requirement to run 4-PRX635 and 4-PRX718s speakers, one should have 3 - 20 amp circuits or 4 - 10 amp circuits (either way you have 48 usable amps). You would want to make sure that you have separate circuits, not just outlets. Often on circuit will serve multiple outlets and the same amount of power is available to one outlet as to a combination of outlets on the same circuit.

• Members

THAT is good news - Thank you! I am doing an event that will require 60 amps for everything. I have 60 available, but was trying to figure out where to get another 15 (assuming the 80% figure).

Can anyone comment on the use of generators with sound equipment? I have been looking at Honda Inverter type generators (supposed to be good for computers and other electronics). If one were to use a line conditioner would you be okay?

Thanks!

• Members

I found out the hard way that the PRX615s don't like generator power. (Or at least smaller generators) They would turn on, but not make any sound. The signal lights flickered.

Fortunately my old JBL Eon G2 still functioned, as did my Eon 518 sub.

• Members

Hope you didn't damage your Eons.

When something doesn't work with a generator, don't keep trying new equipment or you may end up with a pile of damaged gear like my customer that brought in a bunch last week. He could have limited the damage but he kept trying until he ran out of things to try. Voltage was 145V.

• Members

Other loads include mixer, effects and EQ, guitar and bass amps.

I rented a Honda EU2000i to see how it would work out. Honda says it uses an inverter (produces DC and converts it to AC) to generate electricity. It is rated to handle 2000 watts. I ran a Allen & Heath Mixwizard3162, Lexon effects unit, equalizer, 2 - PRX635, 2 - 400 watt monitors, a 60 watt bass amp and a 60 watt guitar amp. I ran this through a Furhman PM Pro II 20 amp line conditioner with a digital voltmeter and RMS current meter (amp draw). A band practiced for about 1/2 hour with the speakers at about 1/2 volume. The PRX635 were clean and quiet. I had a slight hum in one monitor, however that happens sometimes with AC power. There was very little fluctuation in the voltage - at most briefly 2 points. I was VERY surprised that the amp draw never went over 10 amps.

I have gigged the equipment under normal conditions 4 times since the generator and everything seems to be running fine. I don't know if it may cause problems down the line.

I am sure other generators would have their own unique qualities.

I would much rather have AC from the pole, but I have some events where it won't be possible. If run the whole rig, 4 - PRX635, 4 - PRX718s - 4 - 400 Watt Monitors, guitar and bass amp - I would need 60 amps if everything is maxed out, which it would not be. The generator costs $35/day to rent - so with 3 I could run 50 amps.

This is how Honda explains inverter technology: "Honda's inverter technology means stable, clean power in a smaller, lighter package. By taking the raw power produced by the generator and passing it through a special microprocessor, Honda generators are able to produce a sine wave equal to or better than your household power. This means you can even operate the most sensitive electronics without fear of interruption."

If you can avoid generators, that's your best approach. Especially for dynamic loads like audio.

What are your other loads?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Do not use 3 generators, get a single higher powered generator so that all your references are to a single point. There are additional problems that can happen with multiple generators.

Thanks! I don't even want to get into what additional problems there may be!

Archived