Running Bass and Kick through Subs

• Members

Does anyone do this? How do you keep the two from getting all jarbled together?

I use the 120 range to really make the kick punch through, so should I just do the same with the bass guitar or should I just tell the bassist to crank the amp?

• Members

Does anyone do this? How do you keep the two from getting all jarbled together?

I use the 120 range to really make the kick punch through, so should I just do the same with the bass guitar or should I just tell the bassist to crank the amp?

Yes, bass is one of the main instruments I would not high pass, so it would go to the subs.

It seems to me bass and kick should be pretty jarbled together. Well, I guess wouldn't use that term -- properly played, neither the bass nor the kick drum should ever sound "jarbled" -- but I do want them to sound like a solid pulse together. And 120 is not the range I would use to get (what I consider) "punch" from either.

• Members

Sorry, maybe punch was the wrong term. I guess more of the chest thump?

Ok, so it no big deal then for the bass sounds in your opinion... I guess that makes sense.

I was just thinking maybe it was on the same lines as 3 vocalists, and how you don't really want them stepping all over each other in terms of sound.

But the bass and kick in most bands should be hitting together.

Thanks!

• Members

I'd say in both the case of multiple vocalists and bass/kick, the band's song composition is what should create the necessary space (or lack thereof) between parts. There's not really a knob to turn to fix that.

• Members

Man I have so much to learn! (angry face) hahaha. I thought maybe you boost lead vocals at 3k, back up at 4k and someone else at 5k just to get them to seperate a bit. But you don't do that when mixing live? So many schools of thought so many buttons and knobs (or lack thereof).

Thanks for your help soul. :)

• Moderators

Use the kick on the bottom, from 40-100 or so.

Put a little boost in the bass at around 80-200, so it sits just above the kick. This is what an SVT cab does by itself, which is why they always sound so great in a live mix.

Clear out the crap in the kick drum, in the 200-350 range.

At sound check, have the bass and kick play together and adjust the level until it sounds like one instrument playing. Takes a second, but you'll know it when you get it.

Oh, and get a P-Bass.

MG

• Members

I use the 120 range to really make the kick punch through

60Hz is depth, thump

80-100Hz is "punch", but be careful. too much makes things sound lo-fi.

250Hz is "woof". garbage and generally has a -6dB cut on my EQ's (for just about everything, but bass guitars and kick drums especially DO NOT like 250Hz).

For kick drums, 3-6k is "attack" or "click". Bring some definition to the top end and it'll cut through the mix. I usually boost 3dB or so at 4k.

If your bass or kick channels sound woofy, do a nice cut at 250Hz... you'll be pleased at how nicely it cleans up the rest of the spectrum, while still offering a a solid THUMP.

Archived