Help to optimize this cab as a small PA subwoofer

• Members

not gonna work. you will probably get more bass out of your club 4's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small

nice drill, is that the 12V lithium one? i have that and love it.

I should have said WOOFER not SUBwoofer.

The intent is to reinforce what we're already hearing through the current setup (keys and kick) and take a little pressure off the Yammies for a back yard gig.

Do you really feel these would add nothing at all to the mix?

By the way, the drill is NiCad...and the batteries are dying...:mad:

• Members

i think you would be better off without it. might make a good instrument speaker though? look for the old refrigerator peavey subs like mine. work great with the clubs.

your club 4's have plenty of low end for a backyard party. trust me, i just did that with my club 4's on friday. wedding for 400 people outside. of course i do have a little different drivers than stock, but close enough.

the drill is a dewalt isnt it? i wonder if the newer batteries will work with it...mine takes 20 minutes to peak charge and lasts a good while even using the piss out of the drill. it came with two batts so i always have a charged one.

• Members

Without knowing the TS parameters of the drivers, there's no way of knowing. The problem is that those are custom drivers with non-stock parameters. It looks to be based on the DL series but the DL's may be too new to have come stock in the Acoustics. It looks like the wrong back plate for a Force series and definately the wrong backplate for the EVM or SRO.

It may work ok BUT the box tuning will likely need to be adjusted.

• Members

Those EV's have a foam surround, maybe a TL505 cab? The magnets look like DL15's but I'm not sure about the surrounds.

The acoustic cab really won't have a lot of sub 100hz it can do, really it won't do much below 50hz in that small of a box. Being in FL there are a LOT of used sub options out there, that's where I'd start.

If you really are dead set on doing it then load up some drivers and go to town. Use the same kind of connector you're using on the yamaha's. wire up and go. I wouldn't put too much power in those boxes but hey, it's your time and money.

• Members

The EVs are definitely NOT stock for the Acoustic.

It's our bass players cab, and he added these a while back.

I really know very little about speaker design and cabinet tuning, other than folks usually talk about WinISD in these situations.

The cabinet is redundant (x3) and gathering dust, so using it in the PA could put it to some use.

Of course, selling it on Craigslist to raise cash for proper subs is also an option.

• Members

Of course, selling it on Craigslist to raise cash for proper subs is also an option.

Might get a lttle more out of it if you advertise it as the Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction bass cab as that's what Duff used to record that album, an Acoustic 2X15 cab loaded with EV's and a GK 800RB head, Mic'd & DI'd.

Archived