New Line 6 XD-v wireless series

• Members

Anybody have any info on these? They just came out and I'm ver interested in the XD-v70 handheld series because of the mic modeling the transmiters have.

WIll it really sound like a beta 87a, sennheiser e835, ev ???

Don?

• Members

Hopefully Don will chime in. I've been checking the website here and there to see if they released something new and am pretty excited about this and. I love the signal quality of my XDR955, but the microphone was just "so so". I'm very interested in this, especially if it can accommodate other capsules. I have capsules for Shure Beta 58A, Shure SM 86 and am expecting an Audix OM5 capsule with a Shure adapter from Ratt Sound any day now. One thing that's puzzling to me is they reference that the capsule can be replaced with Shure, Heil and Audix capsules. I believe Shure and Heil attach the same, but Audix is different. I wonder how they are able to make a mic that can use capsules that don't attach the same way.

• Members

Are any of you actually seeing them available for sale?

Looks like available 7/21.

At least they didn't do what most do and announce anything that might be released in 2010 at winter NAMM. I've been waiting for several months for Ultimate to start shipping their new utility cart and speaker poles.

• Members

I looked at the info a bit more last night. Price point for the "top of the line" model, the XDV70 is $499. That seems pretty darn good considering all the improvements made. The "microphone modeling", to me anyway, seems a bit of a gimmick. I assume it's custom EQ curves built into the microphone and that's it. Proximity effect and polar pattern are as important to a mic as the sound it makes. You can EQ a mic, but you can't change those characteristics. Anyway, should be a "big boy" competitor now.

- Looks like the receiver is metal

- Receiver is 1/2 the size of previous model so 2 can be racked side by side

- rack mount kit and front antenna kit included

- line of sight transmission distance increased to 300 ft

- 12 channels instead of the 5 available in current model

- Removable capsule is the biggest improvement in my book. You'll now be able to combine the pristine signal with a lot of good microphones.

As long as the handling noise has been reduced, and you need 12 or less channels, I don't see why this wouldn't become the best option out there in a wireless microphone. It's a nice price point (although you'll need to spend another $200 for mic capsule if you don't like the one it comes with) and you're not going to get a cleaner signal.

• CMS Author

I looked at the info a bit more last night. Price point for the "top of the line" model, the XDV70 is $499. That seems pretty darn good considering all the improvements made. The "microphone modeling", to me anyway, seems a bit of a gimmick. I assume it's custom EQ curves built into the microphone and that's it. Proximity effect and polar pattern are as important to a mic as the sound it makes. You can EQ a mic, but you can't change those characteristics. Anyway, should be a "big boy" competitor now.

- Looks like the receiver is metal

- Receiver is 1/2 the size of previous model so 2 can be racked side by side

- rack mount kit and front antenna kit included

- line of sight transmission distance increased to 300 ft

- 12 channels instead of the 5 available in current model

- Removable capsule is the biggest improvement in my book. You'll now be able to combine the pristine signal with a lot of good microphones.

As long as the handling noise has been reduced, and you need 12 or less channels, I don't see why this wouldn't become the best option out there in a wireless microphone. It's a nice price point (although you'll need to spend another $200 for mic capsule if you don't like the one it comes with) and you're not going to get a cleaner signal.

Yep, it looks very interesting. It appears that someone;) really listened to user feedback. Let's see what happens when the rubber meets the road....

• Members

Yep, it looks very interesting. It appears that someone;) really listened to user feedback. Let's see what happens when the rubber meets the road....

I emailed Don a lot over the last year about mine. Pretty much everything was addressed. One big thing I kept harping on is that I didn't think it would get any traction in the truly pro world until it could accept other microphone capsules.

• Members

Hey ... I been working. I'm down in Nashville at Summer NAMM showing both new wireless mics. There is also a 6 channel version that's only $349 and ships end of July. If anyone is down this way NAMM is having their first ever public day ... come on down.

As to the mic models, they are models of dynamic mics only. If you want a beta 87 you can screw on a that capsule. Both systems can use Shure, Heil, EV and Audix capsules.

Are the models real? Well if you grabbed half of dozen of any of the wired versions and stuck a model in the middle I don't think you could pick out the model. The models do not change the polar patterns ... they are fixed cardioid and very similar to a 58. But they also change the output of the mics. For example a b58 is a pretty hot mic so what you get out the output is the same level you would at the xlr out of the mic. Now if you switch to an OM5 you'll get about 9 dB lower output, just like if you switched the mic on a cable. There are no adjustments, no pads, no gains, no squelch to set (not even possible) ... it just follows the wired mic, so there' nothing that can ever be set wrong.

More over ... these are the first wireless mics that do not need a clear channel to operate on. All 12 channels work license free everywhere in the world. You never have to scan for channels and they'll work whereever you get off the tour buss. No FCC nonsense. These mics shift the paradigm of how wireless mics operate.

There's more info on the website line6.com/digitalwireless.

Back to work.

Archived