Passive 2 Channel DI - Sorry about the flood of ignorance today...

• Members

So I just bought a 2 channel Passive DI from audiopile.

This one: http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/FDB-202/FDB-202_cutsheet.shtml

What exactly does this do for me and what is the units PURPOSE?? (I know, I know... why did you buy it if you don't know how to use it...)

I was told by someone on here that I'll need one for adding a laptop, which is something that I'm sure will come up.

• Members

The passive DI would act as a sort of isolation transformer. If your laptop is using it's wall wart there can be ground/power issues (I just ran into this a month ago).

A DI is a useful tool to have, laptop or not. Keyboards, Bass... can all use a DI.

AFAIK, an active DI would NOT be suitable for laptop.

Your current unit has pads, nice feature. Just get adaptor cables and try it out.

• Members

for bass i would use one of these two

http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/FDB-101/FDB-101_cutsheet.shtml

http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/LDB-101/LDB-101_cutsheet.shtml

the passive one would be fine for keys as well. the one that you purchased already would be good if the keys are running stereo. really though i just keep a bunch of single channel ones around and use two if i need to. they can be gaff taped together for convenience and i find it more useful to have them separate. thats a preference thing though.

• Members

I LOVE the EWI 2 channel DI's. I think I have 3 or 4 around, great for whatever. Today it was a previous American Idol finalist playing Uke and guitar. Well, 1 channel for each!

For laptop... yeah, that works. Rapco has these:

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-377-ltiblox.aspx

or with a ground lift:

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-379-ltiglblox.aspx

I use this with a 1/8" to dual RCA and F-F RCA adaptors into:

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-376-tdiblox.aspx

• Members

Rule of thumb: Anytime you're connecting something to the mixer that has 1/4" outputs (acoustic guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, electric violin, e-drums etc.) will need a DI. It's good to have a bunch handy, because you'll never know what kind of bands will show up.

• Members

I think you need your own sub-forum

That'd be kinda neat. Get noobs to read through that forum; the Q&A is like a crash-course in live sound.

One can learn that in pro SR, there's no "real" answer to many questions... so many variables come into play that what may seem like a simple yes/no question, will end up with a long and convoluted response that doesn't actually answer the question. You come up with the best solution to a given problem, with given variables. Same problem with different variables, will result in a different answer.

"It depends"

• Members

Hey there SSH!

Yes, a DI will be very handy to have.

For use with a laptop, take the mini 1/8" headphone out to either a stereo 1/4" plugs (make sure you don't get a simple "Y" jack), must be stereo and then you would plug each 1/4" into the DI. Take the XLR output on the back and then feed that into 2 channels on your mixer. Pan each input hard left and right.

For bass/acoustic guitar, you take the instrument cable to the IN, XLR to the mixer. Use the parallel out to go back to the bass/acoustic guitar stage amplifier.

Don't worry, keep asking questions and you will gain so much info! I wish this forum was around back when I first started doing all this fun stuff!

I wouldn't be in a rush to return your DI box. It will be far more versatile than getting a DI built especially for laptop.

Johnny

• Members

I've been putting mp3 players, laptops, and CD players through the PA for 10 years and have never used a DI. Also, never had a hint of noise from any music playing device I've plugged in.

I had a lot of trouble with noise from a laptop. No trouble with MP3 players or regular computers.

• Members

I've been putting mp3 players, laptops, and CD players through the PA for 10 years and have never used a DI. Also, never had a hint of noise from any music playing device I've plugged in.

I'm with you. I've been doing it a heck of a lot longer than that with no problem ever. I've tapped into the 1/8" output on boom boxes back in the 80s, discmans, walkmans, cassette tape decks (consumer and pro level), DAT decks, iPods, Sansa players, Sony mini-disc players, consumer level CD players, pro grade CD players, and DJ CD/MP3 disc players, laptops, and probably some other devices I can't think of at the moment and have never, ever had an issue. I don't know why. Maybe it's been luck, or maybe it's been because my sound gear has certainly been very good quality pro gear, but certainly not ultra high-end. Maybe the ultra high-end gear is more senstive.

Having said that, we have an extremely important gig coming up in August where I'll be DJing with my laptop for about 6 hours before the band plays. Don't get me wrong - all of our gigs and all of our clients are very important to us, but this one is something best described as over-the-top. I'm going to order the appropriate DI box from EWI. This would not be the gig to encounter the problems others have mentioned, and $45 is very much worth the peace of mind. :)

• Members

I'm not sure how that helps you with a laptop. The problem I had with a laptop into a mixer was noise. I use a Rolls Buzz Off between the laptop and the mixer.

It helps because it contains isolation transformers. The Rolls unit also contains isolation transformers, just a little different ratio.

• Members

I have too, both in producion systems and installed sound. I see problems about 15-20% of the time. Those odds are terrible IMO. This is a sample of probable several thousand events.

• Members

Just for info, while we're talking about plugging laptops and mp3 players into mixers, If you use an iPod (even if just for checking the setup) use a connection from the dock connector to get a proper line put signal. Without a spare DI, I put the player through the tape in on the desk, but that won't work too well for actual performance.

• Members

Just for info, while we're talking about plugging laptops and mp3 players into mixers, If you use an iPod (even if just for checking the setup) use a connection from the dock connector to get a proper line put signal. Without a spare DI, I put the player through the tape in on the desk, but that won't work too well for actual performance.

Why?

Please elaborate and back up with a real technical reason and not urban myth.

I say this because what you posted is bullcrap.

• Members

Quite possible. If the source is clean and you can get it to a handy Line input, there is no reason to use a DI.

If you run into ground loop problems (hum, or buzz) such as the common problem of buzz from a laptop running on AC power connected to a sound board then a DI is a good way to fix it.

Also if you are plugging in at the platform and there is no line input available then a DI will take care of you.

BTW Some DIs have a "sound" It is all in the transformer. Listen carefully to a known sound you like through the DI and make sure you are satasified with it.

The Ipod has been tested and the output of the earphone jack is just as good as the docking station.

Frank

http://lbpinc.com/DI.html

• Members

Quite possible. If the source is clean and you can get it to a handy Line input, there is no reason to use a DI.

If you run into ground loop problems (hum, or buzz) such as the common problem of buzz from a laptop running on AC power connected to a sound board then a DI is a good way to fix it.

Also if you are plugging in at the platform and there is no line input available then a DI will take care of you.

BTW Some DIs have a "sound" It is all in the transformer. Listen carefully to a known sound you like through the DI and make sure you are satasified with it.

The Ipod has been tested and the output of the earphone jack is just as good as the docking station.

Frank

Thanks. I understand the concepts of a DI and use them with all of our instruments. I'm just saying, I've played THESE locations and didn't have noise issues in a single one.

• Members

Thanks. I understand the concepts of a DI and use them with all of our instruments. I'm just saying, I've played
locations and didn't have noise issues in a single one.

Quick, buy some lottery tickets, or head to the track. You've got horseshoes in abundance:)

I just did a gig last Wednesday to Friday, where I used my netbook for midi tracks and for break music. For the break music, I went from my headphone out to line in on my mixer. Definitely had ground issues doing that, but the break music was so quiet I could work around.

Funny thing is I've done the gig previously and didn't have issues - so it depends....

Archived