Subs to match K12's

• Members

I currently run QSC K12's on top of a pair of Peavey SP118's. SP's are currently powered by a Tapco 2500 in bridge mode and have Peavey upgraded drivers (same as QW series). I am looking to change the subs to a powered speaker. I have listened to the K-subs and am not sure they are strong enough. We usually play small to medium venues. Any good ideas?

Thanks.

• Members

A pair of QSC GP212's with a PLX3602 in stereo = win.... if you want to go the powered route, the new KW series sub looks promising.

I am definitely looking at the powered route...have you listened to the Ksub?...it is the baby brother to the GP212. I listened to them at a Guitar Center, and they sounded great, just couldn't push them the way I wanted to. The new KW series is looking good and may be worth the wait. Anyone own the K-sub? How do you like it?

• Members

Thanks for the input...one other question. Anyone out there running K12's over a passive subs? What have you found to be the best crossover freq? Do you keep the K12s in their "DEEP" mode or in the external sub setting? I have been running a crossover at 120 and keeping the K12 DEEP mode on. I think it makes a cleaner transition on the low frequencies.

• Members

I would say that you're probably getting a lot of overlap there... using the EXT SUB setting the K-Series speakers are HPF'd at 100hz...

Yes - that's how I've run my K12's, if you're using the built-in crossover and sending the signal straight from the Mains, put the switch on Ext. Sub & and send the output down to your sub... although OP is currently running passeve subs so I'm not sure exactly what his signal path would be?

But either way (passive or active subs), why would you want the DEEP setting on? You'd be overlapping low freq. sounds in the Mains and the Subs - I'd think that would sound like mush?! :eek:

• Members

I am not running a full signal to the K12's, but am using the external crossover, with the >120hz running to them. Do you run a full signal to the tops and then engage the ext subs (100 hz crossover)...if so, do you set an external x-over at 100hz for the passive subs? I may try that next gig during sound check and see how it goes...thanks

• Members

I am not running a full signal to the K12's, but am using the external crossover

So are you running Main signal from the mixer to an external crossover to split it & then routing the low frequencies to your subs (which are currently passive) and the higher end to the K12's?

In which case, maybe try leaving the switch on the K12's in Normal position - see if it still sounds full enough yet less muddy-mush, as it won't be trying to duplicate what the subs are doing - which I think it would if you had the DEEP switch on... :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the input...one other question. Anyone out there running K12's over a passive subs? What have you found to be the best crossover freq? Do you keep the K12s in their "DEEP" mode or in the external sub setting? I have been running a crossover at 120 and keeping the K12 DEEP mode on. I think it makes a cleaner transition on the low frequencies.

I use an Ashley crossover set at 100 hz and use the setting for Ext Sub on the k12, the subs are Peavey QW118's with a QSX plx3102 amp, works well for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use an Ashley crossover set at 100 hz and use the setting for Ext Sub on the k12, the subs are Peavey QW118's with a QSX plx3102 amp, works well for me.

Just got done running a show with this configuration...It worked really well. Thanks for the help!

Archived