Is this in the bad range - also if its okay to use... is it a good buy?

• Members

All this makes really glad I am old, tired, and won't have to worry about it by the time they get around to making it happen. If I get another 5-6 years out of my gear, it just won't matter but you young whippersnappers have got some problems coming.....

• CMS Author

If I had to put on a magic thinking cap and look to the future, I'm betting that some smart cellular company will see there's gonna be a market for a broadband application here... Don't look for clear bandwidth; use the cellular space for IEM's, mics, etc. It won't be free, of course, but at least it'll work.

• Members

If I had to put on a magic thinking cap and look to the future, I'm betting that some smart cellular company will see there's gonna be a market for a broadband application here... Don't look for clear bandwidth; use the cellular space for IEM's, mics, etc. It won't be free, of course, but at least it'll work.

I bought one of those thinking gadgets from Behringer. Everytime I wore it I just regurgitated other people's thoughts and ideas. Well that and it wasn't a hat, it was a diaper.... you know, eventually took a crap and I disposed of it :D

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

• Members

Good call... You might be right...

• Members

There should be an Entertainment Collective that buys some spectrum and let all the industry use it. It's not like you can't all use the same frequencies if there is distance between users. Shure, AT, Sennheiser, etc should all go in together and buy some ....

• Members

To your second question, Yes it is possible to do 200 channels of wireless without using the TV bands although we're not quite ready to go just yet.

Forgive me, but "possible" and "not quite yet" are not compatible, are they? :p I don't mean to be glib but I work for a manufacturer too and it's amazing the difference between "not quite yet" and "ready for prime time". Sometimes it is years... many frustrating years. You may be closer than that, I don't know.

My point was that the reason people are choosing current systems is that they work. If someone needs to simultaneously operate 13, 48 , 60, 100 or more channels of wireless mics and IEMs today (and they do, routinely, for pro productions) the options are fairly limited. Nevertheless, shows go on tour, on the air, and on stage every day with these "limited" options.

I'm all for advancing technology and the company for which I work invests heavily in engineering research. But then there is the practical side which dictates what can actually be used, reliably, day in and day out. Today, and for the near future, it is analog, digital and hybrid wireless operating in the broadcast bands with a few channels outside those bands. True, that may change, and we don't know exactly how it will change. But as of right this moment, we do know what works because it is what is being used.

Archived