Possible problem with PRX718s

• Members

Hey guys. I just bought a brand new pair of JBL PRX718s's. I have a small problem with them, but not sure if this is normal. Whenever there is a kick or deep bass, i hear i high pitch rattling(not too loud from far away) that sounds like it's coming from the grill. Any ideas?

• Members

Could it just be the air doing something weird? I just don;t want to take the grill of since they';re only a few days old.

Don't know how to use a screwdriver?

Take it back to where you bought it and try to replicate the problem.

• Members

Input is at 9 or 10 o clock. It's not near the limiting light being on. It's being driven by a presonus firebox(firewire soundcard)

@mogwix: I don't have very much time right now so i'll take the grill off later...

• Members

@agedHorse: Just tried turning the gain up on the speakers and down on the sound card, but same result :/ Could it be the foamy sheet that lines the grill?? It's so weird that it's happening on both brand new speakers.....

• Members

Can you try the same setup on a different pair of subs? This is not a typical problem. Are you using the internal crossover (any way it's bypassed?)

You might need the help of your local JBL service guy to troubleshoot this, it may not be obvious and sometimes it's worth getting an expert involved before heading down the wrong road.

• Members

This past weekend I heard a rattle coming from one of my subs. It was the loose fitting sub/sat pole. Waiting for the "good" ones to be available from USS.

Good point. I forgot about that noise. I ended up putting a single layer of gaffer's tape on the pole and the noise stopped.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived