jbl vrx = outdoor shows?

• Members

While snooping around on musiciansfriend(drooling over mics) i came across jbl's vrx array. I went to there website and they describe it as a smaller vertec system. I was specifically looking at the 12in powered arrays that put out 875rms. 5 units can be flown per side plus a flown sub(i think). MY question to everyone out there is if a total of 10 of these units(8k-9k watts) plus ground subs can do outdoor shows say 1000-2000 people? I know if could easily for acoustic,jazz and lighter stuff but what about hard rock/metal?

I am curious about these due to 1 unite being $2500 new and probably could get them $2000 new if you worked a salesman.

• Members

Go do a search over at PSW, there is much discussion on this system. For the size gigs I do, I'd love to run 2xVRX932LAP over VRX918. Gotta get more customers and a van to haul it all, first, though!

VRXes got knocked a great deal because folks seem to have tendency to try to use them for things they are not well suited for. Also, the VRX is not a true line array; it is a constant curvature array which has some benefits and limitations uniquely different from a true line array.

Start here:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/59298/0/0/0/

And especially here:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/57664/0/0/0/

• Members

As pointed out by dedmeet, the VRX boxes do not have adjustable angles and cannot be tailored to a specific venue. If you are doing an event in an outdoor venue that is level, you will pretty much max out at 4 boxes per side.

With the top box at 0* tilt, the bottom box will be aimed at the lip of the stage...adding a 5th box would be useful in a theater with balconies. The little 1" horns do not throw a long distance and it is noticeable outdoors. The SRX dual 18 subs would be a better choice than the VRX single 18s.

Dennis

• Members

why the peavey instead of jbl?

because i have heard both the peavey and vrx.

peavey gets a bad rap, but they have quality lines as well as budget lines, much like jbl - think JRX.

vrx gets a bad rap; they're not bad but are so often misapplied that even when i just see a vrx rig i think" oh its gonna sound bad, no lower mids and may too much 1.6k. i am usually not far off either.

there is some joker around this town that tries to run multiple sets of two vrx setting on various piles of subs in some type of quasi setup and let me tell you - it sucks. no low mids at all, tons of ear peircing 1.6k and no highs. but he's got tons of sub so i guess that makes it ok.

i've actually gotten to the point that when someone around my area starts talking about jbl and not mentioning anything else (or has no knowledge of anything else) that i shut my ears off and right them off as an incompetent.

a fraud mind you.

and if my stalker is still snooping on me, i mean you.

Archived