Sax for the son

• Members

I'm a guitar player... 25+ years. I can answer just about anything you'd need to know as it relates to guitars.

That being said, I know bumpkus about the sax.

My son took up sax this past year (4th grade) and while I encourage him to play, I didnt want to drop the coin on a horn that he might lose interest in.

As it turns out, kid is excelling at it.

Well, the rent on this horn is pretty expensive and the buyout is insane (easy to see how the orchestral rentals stay in business).

Right now he is using a Yamaha YAS-23. He's kept it in excellent condition, so I trust he'll take care of a horn thats his own.

But being that he's in 4th grade he isnt into sharing or anything that isnt MINE MINE MINE (I'm hoping he grows out of this stage sooner rather than later).

Anyway, I think it makes more sense to buy him a horn. I dont think I want to buy him the Rolls Royce of horns, but I know the YAS23 is way down the beginner line.

Does anyone have a lead on a good horn for a student at a price that is reasonable? Meaning, quality student horn value.

Like I said, I could find a guitar for him... sax? I need help...

Thanks, Hornies!

• Members

Nothing wrong with the Yamaha line.

I have a $3,000 82Z tenor and it exceeded any of the dozen other horns I auditioned (including some at twice the price.)

For the same price range as the 23, you could move him up to the YAS-475 ($1700 new) and it's a NICE high-quality horn that he'll be able to play throughout school and beyond.

• Members

Shiney seems to be the key...

I've looked around at used horns. I am not sure I'll be able to get him to agree that a used horn that costs X and a new (shiney) horn that cost X ARE NOT EQUAL.

He's 11...

what to do... what to do?

• Members

My Dad got me a Cannonball Tenor Sax and I love it! It did cost about $2300 but that's because it's a Tenor which is bigger. You'd probably want to get your son an Alto sax which would be lighter for your 11 year old, and cheaper :) The Cannonball has been working well for me.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with the right shiny horn...;) The Yamaha Allegro line has an excellent alto and there is a ridiculously low opening bid for one on Ebay currently>

Mr. Moderator, I hope you don't mind the following links...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/BandOrchestra/Product/Main/YAS-575AL_Main.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%2525253D15277%25252526CTID%2525253D244900,00.html&h=200&w=300&sz=11&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=vb7nc8nadyrlPM:&tbnh=77&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dyamaha%2Byas%2B575%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Allegro-Alto-Saxophone-YAS-575AL_W0QQitemZ170227712185QQihZ007QQcategoryZ16232QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Shiney seems to be the key...

I've looked around at used horns. I am not sure I'll be able to get him to agree that a used horn that costs X and a new (shiney) horn that cost X ARE NOT EQUAL.

He's 11...

what to do... what to do?

• Members

So, I'm guessing that the "A" in the Yamaha model numbers,

yAs means "Allegro"?

What would you suggest is the highest I should bid on that horn on Ebay?

Certainly that model is a step up from the YAS23, since the model "numbers" are larger than 23?

Signed,

Knucklehead who doesnt want to get burned for not doing my research.

• Members

Hey there, glad that this particular alto seems like it can be the one. At this point, lay low in the auction because it is going to generate a lot of interest (someone from France has in interest in it and the seller will go the international route, if need be.) Watch the auction intently on the last day and start bidding towards the end so that the price stays reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if this horn fetches $800 used and this sax looks to be in immaculate condition. Ask questions to the seller about the use the horn has seen and the general condition it's in. Essentially, the Allegro YAS 575 is considered a step from even the intermediate YAS-475 and from what I can tell it is sold almost exclusively to the European market.

So, I'm guessing that the "A" in the Yamaha model numbers,

yAs means "Allegro"?

What would you suggest is the highest I should bid on that horn on Ebay?

Certainly that model is a step up from the YAS23, since the model "numbers" are larger than 23?

Signed,

Knucklehead who doesnt want to get burned for not doing my research.

• Members

If you're able to get that sax, congrats. But if not, look into getting an intermediate level sax for your son. I wouldn't go straight into a professional grade instrument just yet until your son knows that he really wants to play sax. You might want to even consider just renting a sax for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I guess that I might be an exception in that I really do not recommend intermediate level horns for my students (if they do take care of their horns). Two reasons: 1) No proportional resale value (and good luck trying to sell it with the smaller pool of prospective buyers; you will take a hit) and 2) the quality of many intermediate horns is a bit closer to the beginner than the pro level.

I will suggest that you check out the Cannonball Big Bell and also P. Mauriat. Excellent pro-level horns that won't make you get a second mortgage. Are they the equivalent of the Selmer Reference 36 or 54 lines? Nope. But the difference in cost is really significant. Here's where you can find P. Mauriats:

http://www.monteverdemusic.com/

You might also want to make sure that your son prefers the alto to the tenor before you buy one. Let him play the one he doesn't own, borrowing one for a while in you can. I tend to think it's a really good idea to try to get him onto a pro level mouthpiece before he gets a pro level sax: it will help him really develop his concept of sound and that may affect his choice of a horn.

I don't mention soprano or baritone because they tend to be doubles for most players. Of course, if that's what he really wants to make his major instrument and just won't be satisfied with anything else....

I don't know where you live, but old Selmers (Mark VI, tenor or alto) go for about 5Gs or more here in the greater NY metro area in decent shape. I wouldn't hold out for one of these.

• Members

Thanks for the advice Outland, and everyone.

The kid is in 4th grade. None of us know if he'll be interested in this even six months from now (though he shows great promise).

I found a YAS23 here locally for 350 bucks. It had a few scratches on it, but he loved the fact that it was HIS and not a rental.

I told him that if he sticks with it and takes care of that horn he will get a better one.

I know what you're talking about... avoiding the student/intermediant horns. I've learned my lessons with guitars over the years. I just dont want to drop pro level bucks on it quite yet.

• Members

Man, I'm glad it ended well and that your son will have plenty to thank you for if he continues to love playing...ultimately, as you very well know, that is what drives us to play in the first place. Bar none, I think that the YAS-23 is the best student/beginners sax as far as modern horns go, as a similar Yanagisawa or Keilwerth line horn may be a little more challenging to play with the level of ease than the Yamaha. I'd also encourage you to play together once in a while...just simple jamming like that helps a lot.

• Members

Shiny is the key.

When my son first started, I loaned him my Selmer Mark VI Paris edition alto sax. It had great patina and the case was well worn with stickers from around the world but his other classmates teased him about having a 'thrift store sax' or playing something that he found in the junkyard. They showed off their shiny new Bundy saxes and made my son feel bad. The music teacher was awed that I allowed him to play my baby.

I bought him a new Selmer Aristocrat alto that included a cool silver case with orange pockets for $800. List price is @$1600 which is what the music rental company would charge so buying is definately better and when it comes time to sell, you won't take too much of a hit.

Archived