Wiring a multi pin connector

• Members

I just took delivery of a spool of 20 pr., foil shielded cable from our resident forum member agedhorse. I ordered some 38 pin (more than I need by far) EDAC connectors. Well, I just found some NOS Cannon 26 pin connectors (cord end plug, panel mount receptacle) on ebay for cheap ($20 per set). Now I'm going to put everything together.

Question -

Does the drain wire on every pair get its own pin or can they be wired together?

• Members

There are two ways to wire this... common ground at the console end or seperate ground at the console end. The grounds inside the console are all connected to the internal common ground bus.

The Brits often used an ELCO/EDAC type connector with a common ground or a few paralleled ground pins on old consoles fitted with multicore cable connectors.

Grounds are always discrete at the far end of the snake.

• Members

I just took delivery of a spool of 20 pr., foil shielded cable from our resident forum member agedhorse. I ordered some 38 pin (more than I need by far) EDAC connectors. Well, I just found some NOS Cannon 26 pin connectors (cord end plug, panel mount receptacle) on ebay for cheap ($20 per set). Now I'm going to put everything together.

Question -

Does the drain wire on every pair get its own pin or can they be wired together?

Uhm; if you have 20 pr. shielded cable, wouldn't you need more that 40 pin connectors to utilize all 20 pair? At least 41 pin with common ground or 60 pin with individual grounds?

• Members

Yes, 60 pin minimum for seperate contacts (contact per conductor) which is the most common. The EDAC shell would be a 90 contact shell, though many use the 120 shell for everything and just use the first 60 holes which makes the first 20 channels available on any cable system.

Archived