AC quad boxes

• Members

FWIW I copied and pasted this post into a document and saved it for future reference. I don't remember which forum, or who posted it. I thought this looked like a viable DIY quad box project and a step up from the cheesy knock-out aluminum boxes. I'm pretty sure it is still not code for a pendant box in many situations, but you'll have to check that out...

This box has a 1/2" threaded connection on each side and back, but also comes in a 3/4" version. This box is a bit more compact than the one you're looking at, if you don't mind aluminum. I've seen shattered plastic boxes, so I'm going to stay metal.

I would go with the rubber/plastic stage boxes with side mounted outlets, but they're so expensive. My real expense here is the cable, so if I ever run into problems, I'll just ditch the boxes and upgrade to a OA Windsor or the like (at 3x the cost or more). Simply switching the top plates would make these fully weatherproof for a reasonable price.

Capital Lighting and Supply is a regional outfit. Walking in and talking to someone (after having browsed the catalogues) far beat wandering the aisle at Lowes. Their prices were better, and on most items better than I could have done online. Yay for the local guy.

Cable: They had 12/3 SOOW at $0.61 a foot. Half of the Lowes price on SJOOW.

Boxes: $6.46 on the Mulberry box. $2.35 on the Mulberry SS cover. Mulberry also makes a DEEP box, that would have the additional clearance for those of you wanting to stash some powercon ports on the side of the box.

Recepticles: Got a good commercial grade Pass & Seymour recepticle for $1.25. Compares well to the $5 units at Lowes.

The cord grips are under $3, all metal with rubber sleeve, and a nice upgrade over the romex style clamps usually used.

Plugs are a Pass and Seymour item. If I had them available, I'd get Bryant 5965BY. An outfit here in town has had some on cables used weekly for 15 years at an outdoor concrete stage. They're still going strong, and work well with the OD of 10/3 SOOW cable. Mine aren't quite as nice but will do the job better than anything from Lowes.

A can of black spray paint and I'd be home, but I'll probably leave items as is. I didn't think about it or I'd asked for a gray recepticle. White will have to do.

quad.jpg

Archived