My recording progress... w/ bonus question

• Members

So my current situation is as follows (Thanks to Aged)

I have all the drums on the kit mic'ed up, but no overheads. All the drums are fed into my MixWiz and then are sent out through aux1 into my Tascam 788.

Bass is DI sent out aux2 to Tascam.

Guitar cab is mic'ed sent out aux3 to Tascam.

All 3 vocals are sent out aux4 to Tascam.

So far I've got some decent recordings, that I'm pretty much happy with.

My question is... do the channel strip EQs change the aux outs at all? Does that have to do with the pre/post switch or is that just for the fader?

• Members

My question is... do the channel strip EQs change the aux outs at all?

EQ'ing individual board inputs, yes. Globally?, no. For example, you won't have control over individual vocal tracks at the Tascam. You'll only be able to EQ the aux #4 summed vocal mix.

• Members

I think my question phrasing made your answer phrasing confusing for me...

Do the channel strip EQs on the MIXWIZ affect the outgoing sound from the Aux outs?

I think you're saying yes. But maybe not.

Just want to be sure.

• Members

Depends on the internal set-up config and MixWiz version.

Generally, yes.

Okay, so if this is the case... if I'm mixing at a show and I'm using the aux outs for monitor duty... that means that when I adjust the 4k on a vocal channel up and it sounds better in the mains but is causing feedback in the mons then I have to EQ the monitor mix back down basically undoing what I've done on the channel strip?

Seems redundant... however I'm not complaining as I very much need control over the channels as they're heading out.

• Members

On current versions of the Mixwiz, they come configured by default with aux sends post eq. That means channel strip equalizers effect the aux. There is an internal jumper that can be switched to modify the auxes for pre eq operation

• Members

On current versions of the Mixwiz, they come configured with aux sends [post eq. That means channel strip equalizers effect the aux. There is an internal jumper that can be switched to modify the auxes for
pre eq
operation

Okay cool. Thats exactly what I'm looking for.

That being said... what are the dominant (good sounding) frequencies of the snare? :D

• Members

I think my question phrasing made your answer phrasing confusing for me...

Do the channel strip EQs on the MIXWIZ affect the outgoing sound from the Aux outs?

I think you're saying yes. But maybe not.

Just want to be sure.

Yes,mixer-channel EQ does affect the outgoing "Live" sound, but only on an individual mixer-channel input. You can EQ each vocal channel on-the-fly at the miixer, but once each of those vocal channels gets summed at aux 4, then beyond that point, you can only EQ the "summed" vocals at your Tascam.

The Tascam, is receiving only what has been summed at your consoles' Aux 4. You won't be able to go back to your recording later, and EQ the individual vocal tracks. Any vocals EQ'ing done at the Tascam, will affect all of the vocal channels globally.

• Members

On current versions of the Mixwiz, they come configured by default with aux sends
post eq
. That means channel strip equalizers effect the aux. There is an internal jumper that can be switched to modify the auxes for
pre eq
operation

I always thought the Aux sends were pre EQ and the jumpers were to change it to post eq?

Johnny

• Members

From the manual:

AUX SENDS These rotary controls adjust how much channel

signal is mixed to the aux outputs. Each of the 6 auxes has its own

control. They adjusts from fully off to +6dB boost. Unity gain 0dB is

marked at 3 o

• Members

Hey SSH-

After I sent my reply, I pulled my manual.

Looks like Aux 1 & 2 are PRE-Fader, so they're PRE-EQ too. UNLESS, they have been reconfigured with the jumpers.

Aux 3 & 4 are switchable. If they're PRE-FADER, then, they're PRE-EQ. If they're switched to POST-FADER, then they're POST-EQ.

5 & 6 are post fader/eq. (For effects sends etc).

At least, that's the way I am interpreting it. My mixwiz is packed away right now, so I can't really test it

Johnny

• Members

Hey SSH-

Looks like Aux 1 & 2 are PRE-Fader, so they're PRE-EQ too. UNLESS, they have been reconfigured with the jumpers.

Aux 3 & 4 are switchable. If they're PRE-FADER, then, they're PRE-EQ. If they're switched to POST-FADER, then they're POST-EQ.

5 & 6 are post fader/eq. (For effects sends etc).

At least, that's the way I am interpreting it. My mixwiz is packed away right now, so I can't really test it

Johnny

Hahah, thanks Johnny, thats what I was getting out of it too. I guess I'll just have to test it out tonight at practice. I think you're right though.

• Members

So from the manual, it seems like aux1 and aux2 are PRE EQ?

So I need to switch my outs to Aux3-6 in order to get the channel EQ?

I'm thinking you're on the right track there. Make sure the button is pushed for Aux 3 & 4 to POST Fader.

Hope it all works out and you guys get a great recording!

Johnny

• Members

Which Mixwiz version do you have? The v3s are factory configured as agedhorse and I explained.

I have the V3 and the manual is for V3 which shows both, depending on which aux is selected.

There is a 'mix' of pre and post EQ for the auxes on the MixWiz. 1 & 2 are pre. 3 & 4 are pre unless the 'POST' button is pushed, then, they're post-eq. 5 & 6 are post eq.

Not to argue, but that's just the way I read the manual. I always thought 1-4 were always pre-eq unless you did the jumper thingies. My MixWiz is packed, so I can't really test it out.

I've been wrong before, so no biggie. :)

Johnny

• Members

Hey SSH-

I stand corrected.

Now why was I thinking I was certain in remembering the factory configuration was post-eq? Failing memory, I guess.

• Members

I stand corrected.

Now why was I thinking I was certain in remembering the factory configuration was post-eq? Failing memory, I guess.

LOL! No worries dude! You weren't wrong-5 & 6 are post-eq!

I've learned something too about the post/pre switch that it changes the eq as well as being post-fader.

Johnny

• Members

So my current situation is as follows (Thanks to Aged)

I have all the drums on the kit mic'ed up, but no overheads. All the drums are fed into my MixWiz and then are sent out through aux1 into my Tascam 788.

Bass is DI sent out aux2 to Tascam.

Guitar cab is mic'ed sent out aux3 to Tascam.

All 3 vocals are sent out aux4 to Tascam.

So far I've got some decent recordings, that I'm pretty much happy with.

My question is... do the channel strip EQs change the aux outs at all? Does that have to do with the pre/post switch or is that just for the fader?

So what changed? to yeild better results.

Just curious, since your recording signal chain is exactly the same as your last post. That yeilded {censored}ty results.

Archived