Wireless headset mic choices

• Members

I own all three. The Countryman does sound better than the AT, but the AT is OK. There is not an extreme difference, but you can hear it. Neither can come close to the performance of the CM311. Once my E6 or AT has already hit the GBF limit in the room (where the mic will take off on its own even with no input) I can still get 10+ db more out of the CM311 before it hits the limit. With most mics/headsets, you have to work to prevent feedback. With a CM311 you almost have to work to MAKE feedback. They are amazing.

Yes, the microsets look better. Yes they are lighter to wear. Yes, CM311s look clunky and heavy. No, my microsets never get used any more. They stay in my mic box waiting for that perfect event where only they will work....and I haven't needed them in years.

• Members

Are you talking about the countryman Isomax headset (like the CM311, big "britney" headset) or the E6 (small tan earpiece)?

The isomax headset has a lot more GBF then an E6 does but also has more breath noise issues so it's a trade off.

I haven't used the CM311 though so others are a better judge of that.

• Members

When the OP mentioned Microset, I ASSUMED E6 which is what my comments were pointed to. The CM311 eats my E6 for lunch in the GBF department. I did have an Isomax and liked it better than the E6 but didn't see the advantages to it. The Isomax didn't have the GBF for me that the CM311 had, and didn't have the Microset look of the E6. It lived in the middle as a compromise, albeit not a bad one. I went with higher GBF since that was one of my high priority drivers in the decision.

• Members

The DPA is fine until the user has an accident and somebody (SOMEBODY) has to pay for a repair or replacement.

And this doesn't apply to other headsets?:confused:

I have 3 dpa 4088's and none ever failed or got damaged. I had to replace my countryman E6 who broke and seems a lot more fragile. The DPA seems to be very solid.

GBF is better than most headsets. Sound quality is better. It stays on better, it is lighter and more discrete than most headsets. you can switch from right/left side easily. Service & support is very good. That's why it is more expensive than other headsets and why it's used a lot in theatres and broadcasting.

• Members

It does apply to other headsets (specifically the E6) too, but specifically the cost of the DPA can make an accident too high for many clients or sound co's to take responsibility for.

I am talking about accidents and poor handling which, like it or not, is one of the criteria many of us use when factoring in headset and lav mic choices.

• Members

I saw a video of someone using a CM311AE and wow, does it ever pop and pick up breathing even when not directly in front of the mouth. And that was a sales demo of the product! The E6 I use doesn't have that, but of course it doesn't go in front of the mouth.

For the CM311 users, do you use the CM311AE or the CM311A? Seems like the all in one CM311A would be better, and it seems cheaper in cost than the E6.

• Members

I don't, I'm trying to understand from what I'm reading.

From what I read, the AE is used with a stand alone transmitter and receiver (sold separately, but different configurations exist) whereas the A comes with a battery pack. But its a bit confusing to read. Could you clear this up? What is the real difference between them? One place said the A is not a wireless mic.

• Members

An XLR battery back connection? Seems odd. And no receiver, just the battery pack transmitter? Also odd. Hopefully I'm missing something.

Yes, you are!

It's the hardwired version, the battery pack also does the translation for phantom power from the console to bias for the mic.

Archived