Best mic cable storage solution?

• Members

Rope, velcro... ties should be at the male end. Having said that, I work with one band that has four front line singers. I have found that I need to colour code their mics and cables AND stands, other wise, after one of their many "switch ups" they get back to their mic stands, grab the wrong stand (height issues), grab the wrong mic and worse.

Once they even unplugged their mics and inserted them into each other's cables in an effort to rectify their on stage shell game - yikes!

So it's colour code throughout the signal chain; looks be damned.

But yes, generally you don't want anything distracting on the performers end.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With 4 singers up front you need 4 wireless mics! Waaay easier...

Agreed. However the back story on the gig is that it started with two small FOH speakers, two beat up monitors, an ancient mixer and one vocalist.

It has since morphed into five vocalists (one backline) U15's for FOH, subs, four NX350's for monitors, Allen & Heath board, EQ's, Comps, dirverack...:blah: all with no increase in pay. Because I'm mixing from stage, I either take the gig or the leader gets another chump, and then I'm on the gig but my PA is at home.

So I've had to draw the money line somewhere - and the line is no wireless.

• Members

Agreed. However the back story on the gig is that it started with two small FOH speakers, two beat up monitors, an ancient mixer and one vocalist.

It has since morphed into five vocalists (one backline) U15's for FOH, subs, four NX350's for monitors, Allen & Heath board, EQ's, Comps, dirverack...
:blah:
all with no increase in pay. Because I'm mixing from stage, I either take the gig or the leader gets another chump, and then I'm on the gig but my PA is at home.

So I've had to draw the money line somewhere - and the line is
no
wireless.

For sure hey. There's always a line in the sand somewhere. I keep my purchases in line, funding them from the work I get.

Wireless would be nice for me as well, but there are other things on the list before wireless mics.

To get back on track, I redid all my cables, putting the cable tie on the male ends.

:thu:

• Members

Over and under with velcro ties, then in crates according to type/length. Looking at what you guys all do for cable lengths, I seem to be running much more with shorter cables, but I do normally do orchestra/band PA with upwards of two dozen mics. So I have lots of snakes and subsnakes to keep cable runs short and reasonably tidy. Nearly all my mic cables are 5 metres (16 feet) so I get 50 or so in a smallish crate no trouble. I have another crate of 15 metre cables used mostly for stereo location recording. Over time I've gone from small crates to big crates on wheel. And back. Sometimes transport and unloading options make bigger crates tricky to deal with. So for a coypus if extra carries I avoid that

• Members

Reading this thread I started getting nervous, thinking I was doing it wrong when it came to coiling my cables.

So I googled 'how to wind cables over-under' and found this:

Over & Under method

Reading the article, looking at the pics made no sense until I got a cable and tried it.

Turns out that's the way I've been doing it forever (whew...)

Archived