234xl vs VXS26

• Members

u need to be looking moreso at transfer function results,coherence and phase response to try to tune correctly.

do u have 2 input channels available on ur test rig?

I think he just has the RTA that's built into the VSX but judging by the previous posts, I think he's hooked and will be upgrading his test rig.

• Members

i was using the rta-m mic into a motu interface and looking at the freq response on a mac. for what i needed at that point, it worked. i saw the problem right away and once i flipped the polarity on the highs things went smooth. unfortunately i dont have a PC in the shop (but i have three macs, actually five if you count the old OS9 ones) so i cant do the PC goodies at this point.

i have the HF/LF levels sorted out (good enough for this weekend, the system has never sounded so good before) but i would like to know more about what i should do with this rig next. i know i can do a lot more with the vsx than i already have.

i only have the one rta-m mic. i do have a PC with an older version of smaart on it at home, which i can bring to the shop if thats what i need to do. my PC has no inteface at this point but i can install the drivers and a firewire pci card if i cant use mac software.

• Members

This last sentence got my attention. What interface would you need to go with the firewire card?

dale, i dont understand your question(?)

i dont do audio on my PC, so i never advanced it beyond the built in MOBO sound output. i have a firewire card on the shelf that i can put in the PC, and i have a tascam interface and a motu interface, both firewire. the PC doesnt have any firewire ports unless i use the PCI card.

however the three macs in the shop all have firewire, OSX, and audio software (primarily for recording live shows).

as much as i enjoy using my PC, i just have no need to use it for audio. it does however play a mean grand theft auto san andreas (all video settings on high, 32 bit color, draw distance halfway up) :D

edit: i forgot; my PC has a crappy SB live! card in it. its about the same as a mobo sound output. i cant remember if its PCI or PCI E1x.

• Members

i used roger nichols inspector. i think its not called roger nichols anymore, seems he got mad and walked away from that project. i used it as a plug in in DP.

i also tried the masterworks eq plug in. both worked well at showing me large errors, but i need something more advanced to go much further. these two plugs will only show freq response and no other functions, so their use is limited. but they did show me the issue with the HF polarity and confirmed the freq bumps that the autograph was telling me about.

i'm hearing something odd at around 1.2k as of right now, not sure what. if i dip it a little on the mixer channel the odd sound goes away but clearly something is lacking in the sound when i do that. it is entirely likely it has something to do with my shop. i need to get the speakers out in the open and fire them up; i have several hours preshow this friday to mess around outside. i suspect i am not going to get much further in my shop, its just too hostile an environment for sound.

the shop could be causing the bump at 250hz for all i know. steel garage doors, cement floor, steel poles and some drywall in spots. great for tablesaws, crappy for sound.

• Members

Beware of the BW-48db/oct. You really need to study what happens around the xover point acoustically when getting into steep curves. They have their place but not without a little analysis detail.

Hi Andy, What are your thoughts on using the BW-48db/oct setting as a high pass filter for subs. Although it's not recommended by EAW I've used it on the LA 400s and like it. Am I missing something. Paul.

• Members

i dont do audio on my PC, so i never advanced it beyond the built in MOBO sound output....

however the three macs in the shop all have firewire, OSX, and audio software (primarily for recording live shows).

edit: i forgot; my PC has a crappy SB live! card in it. its about the same as a mobo sound output. i cant remember if its PCI or PCI E1x.

So long as you have a mixer and a STEREO LINE IN on your PC, you can have good measurements with your PC. I don't know if you could port your old version of Smaart over to the MACs, however.

You already noticed how important polarity through the crossover is. If you can start using delay, you'll love your clubs even more. Smaart is a very powerful tool and you can really get some good results by taking the time to measure (on and off axis), tweak, and listen.

Best.

• Members

Hi Andy, What are your thoughts on using the BW-48db/oct setting as a high pass filter for subs. Although it's not recommended by EAW I've used it on the LA 400s and like it. Am I missing something. Paul.

It's often a good choice, especially if using folded horn subs and you are pushing things down near the cutoff of the horn. There are two potential problems with 8th order filters... ringing and summation. Summation is not an issue with a HPF on subs and ringing is not going to be objectionable at low freq near cutoff IMO.

• Members

In what context would ringing be an issue? MF to HF?

Yes and anywhere summing of two bands acoustically might occur. If there are 3dB peaks in the ringing and it's in an area where the ear is sensitive, you could have unexpected narrow band 6dB peaks. Especially with a BW alignment.

Archived