PA snake advice needed

• Members

Hello all,

I can pickup an almost new Nepco 12x4 150 foot snake for around $100. It was purchased for around $270.

Here's the deal, I play guitar and work sound for our band, a 6 piece classic country/country rock band. We are usually playing small bars, where I don;t really see the need for a PA snake. I usually have the PA very near the stage and it is a powered mixer, 2 mains, 4 monitors, 4 vocal mics + drummer with headset mic. We don't mic any amps for these small bars.

We are gearing up to do more outdoor work. I have a bigger system ( Yamaha Mgg16CX + QSC power amps, 2 more mains and the above) and we are micing everything for outdoors. maybe 2 or 3 outdoor shows in the summer. I usually have the PA next to me or right next to the stage for these shows.

I really think a 150' snake is way overkill for what we are doing. I am more concerned with stage clutter rather than having the mixing board in the crowd.

It's not like I have $100 burning a hole in my pocket ....

Any thoughts appreciated.

--Bill

• Members

Thanks ... that makes a lot of sense.

The other thought I had was to take the 150 and make it into a 100' and a 50'. Not really sure of the difficulty and cost in doing this, although I am dangerous with a soldering iron. This would actually satisfy both needs.

--Bill

• Members

depends on how much time you have on your hands, and whether the snake cable is IJ, meaning individually jacketed or not. IME, it's more trouble then it's worth, the cost of a decent stage box is likely to be close to what you'd pay for the snake anyhow. I bought IJ 4 channel, and IJ 8 channel from CBI, and made fan ends on my snakes. Keeps everything low to the ground, and sightly for small stages. Not for everyone, but I fit my needs

• Members

IMO clearing up stage clutter = drop snake(s) as stated.

Just to expand on your other thought.... you really can't have a powered mixer out in the audience and use the snake to run back to your FOH speakers UNLESS said snake has speaker gauge wiring. Most snakes do not, so you would be using an inappropriate gauge/type of wiring (like a balanced return line...) and failure of some sort would ensue.

I've got just one drop snake, but for my band's needs it does the trick.

• Members

Shaster,

I probably confused the hell out of everyone with my post because I'm mixing apples and oranges - it is clear to me now. For my little bar gigs , the clutter is the problem and the drop snake looks like the solution. The small bars are where I use the powered mixer.

For outdoors, the l150' snake would connect to my bigger setup, unpowered mixer + power amps, etc.

I was just trying to justify spending $100 for that 150' PSPX snake. It is a great price but for the number of outdoor events w are doing we can get by with what we have. The stage snake will help here too. I think that is the way I'm going to go.

Thanks to all for the advice!

• Members

My band uses either a 24/6 or 16/4 main snake, BOTH 100 footers. I've run into a few times that 100' was hardly enough. I also picked up over the years a few sub-snakes, very handy to have. That snake for $100 is a good deal (assuming balanced returns to the stage).

Many years ago I took a 16/4/100 snake and put it on a garden hose reel. Mounted the stage box on the reel with cable ties, put the cable through the reel spokes and wopund up the cable. We mounted the reel on a square piece of plywood. Then we set the box where it was convenient and just unreeled enough to reach the mixer, even when mixing from the stage.

You can always do like I currently do, using a plastic footlocker either figure eight or over-under coil the bulk of the snake, leaving the stage box out with 5-6' of cable that gets put on top in the box. I dremeled out "mouse holes" on either side of the plastic footlocker I use for snake storage. Then I pull out the stage box on one side and however much snake I need on the other side to reach the mixer. Then I can close the lid with the cables coming out the mouse holes. I set the stage box on top of the amp rack and hook everything up from there.

Boomerweps

Archived