Simple electrical question

• Members

Tyat's different than in CA. Each municipality (city or county) can adopt or reject any part of the code or all of ot. In fact CA no longer recognizes the NEC but has their own CA Electrical Code (which is of course based upon the national code) and each city and county has their own adaptations that stand in that jurisdiction. State property adheres to the state code, school districts adhere to a combination of the state code and any special education building codes, up until recently (that I know of) it was the office of the State Architect that handled the inspections that school buildings adhered to the education building codes but that may have changed given our current financial situation.

Accredited hospitals also generally have an additional set of inspectors that oversee such items and there are seperate codes for hospitals in addition to the usual health care codes.

Specialized buildings and municipal partnerships handle things differently, so the real answer is... you guessed it... "it depends"!

Holy Crap. I'm actually in shock. That is insane. Out here we get state amendments now and again, but it's statewide. I almost moved out to Davis in Northern California last year, as my girlfriend was accepted to UC Davis for Vet School, but we opted to stay here as my earning potential was higher seeing the I already operate my own business. After what you just posted, I dont think I even wanna vacation in CA :poke:

• Members

Holy Crap. I'm actually in shock. That is insane. Out here we get state amendments now and again, but it's statewide. I almost moved out to Davis in Northern California last year, as my girlfriend was accepted to UC Davis for Vet School, but we opted to stay here as my earning potential was higher seeing the I already operate my own business. After what you just posted, I dont think I even wanna vacation in CA :poke:

Davis has it's own CITY codes in addition to the CA code. Generally they are similar but have small differences with regards to grounding of things like pools, where GFCI's are required (some additional areas) and when changes must be made (any time a residential building is sold, CITY codes dictate what MUST be upgraded or changed) in order to transfer title.

I just moved outside the city limits, the county follows either the NEC or CAEC, but generally they are close enough that the county won't give you a hard time. The city however will.

I used to do a lot of contract work for the vet school and have a lot of friends over there. It's a nice program. Where did your girlfriend end up going to?

• Members

Back to working full time at a clinic. She works with a Doctor who graduated from UC Davis Vet, and went on to become the first woman Vet at the Smithsonian, and the first female head of the Smithsonian Zoo, and then spent 5 years in Africa working with Gorillas and South America with Giant River Otters, I wonder who influenced her decision about UC Davis??

Shes taking some time to assess whether she wants to do large animal (less profitable), or small animal medicine. She's a gifted equestrian, and has spent time running farms and horse management programs, but a few years back her horses vet commited suicide because he has $150,000 in student loans, but could only make $45,000 a year as a large animal vet. She's def having a crisis of faith.

• CMS Author

From what I've seen, it's more common to have code authority granted to local areas (city, municipality, county) than at the state level. I'd like to see a chart of which states handle code, and which let the locals have their own.

• Members

From what I've seen, it's more common to have code authority granted to local areas (city, municipality, county) than at the state level. I'd like to see a chart of which states handle code, and which let the locals have their own.

Maybe it's just a New England thing. I know Conn is statewide, as is Mass, NH, and ME. Not sure about Vermont. I know NYC has their own Code, not sure about the rest of the state

• Members

Back to working full time at a clinic. She works with a Doctor who graduated from UC Davis Vet, and went on to become the first woman Vet at the Smithsonian, and the first female head of the Smithsonian Zoo, and then spent 5 years in Africa working with Gorillas and South America with Giant River Otters, I wonder who influenced her decision about UC Davis??

Shes taking some time to assess whether she wants to do large animal (less profitable), or small animal medicine. She's a gifted equestrian, and has spent time running farms and horse management programs, but a few years back her horses vet commited suicide because he has $150,000 in student loans, but could only make $45,000 a year as a large animal vet. She's def having a crisis of faith.

PM me with your wife's friend's name. My wife is a zoo curator and spent some time in Africa with the Gorillas (UCD vet school connection) as well.

The vet world is really tough, I ride with a bunch of vets and the ranch I'm at is where many of the vet students and vets board their horses. Student loans is a real concern.

Archived