Moments of Magic

• Members

I did a show this weekend that renewed my faith in what we do. I for one am in the business because I love music. I have gotten at least competent at the technical side so that I can be a part of the creative process and still make a decent living.

Once in a while a group comes along that reminds me of how good that can feel. Collin Hay (formerly of Men at Work) is a truly class act. I have worked with him several times. Years ago with the group MAW, twice as a duo act with his wife (an extremely talented Cuban musical artist in her own right) and this weekend with a new group. These guys were all excellent musicians but as a group they flat KILLED. Low stage volume, excellent tone, just downright tasty players. Of course Collins compositions & arranging were truly fine and interesting as well. Over all an awsome show.

YEA!!!!

• Members

Notice how the longer someone is in the business, the more professional they get, their stage technique (i.e. low volume) gets better, and they just seem like better musicians?

As a hunch, I'd say that these are actually the reasons they're still in the business.

• Members

I saw Colin Hay many years ago in a tiny place in Vancouver called the Railway Club. he was doing a solo act - no band, no fireworks, no laser shows....

His music was great, and he told many funny stories about the trials and tribulations of Men At Work.

I don't impress easily, but he certainly impressed me that night.

• Members

Notice how the longer someone is in the business, the more professional they get, their stage technique (i.e. low volume) gets better, and they just seem like better musicians?

As a hunch, I'd say that these are actually the reasons they're still in the business.

I did sound for a death metal festival and you could really see the differences in the professionalism. It was a bit of a chore at times to convince the younger bands to turn down, though they all complied. A few of the more seasoned bands had their 410 cabinets sitting on top of their rack units, raising the speakers closer to head level. That way they were able to have a great sound, and have a lower stage volume.

The worst was a kid who just got a triple rectifier, and it was his first time using it. Not the best plan in my books. That was the only guitar I really had issues with. Mids scooped to nothing for br00tal t0an!!!

:facepalm:

I did what I could with that one. The nice thing about death merat, is that, sure it's loud, but everything tends to be full on, or full off. The lack of dynamics actually makes it easier to mix. Then it's just a case of bringing up solos etc.

:thu:

Archived