powered monitor sugestions

• Members

Looking at possibly picking up a powered solution for myself.

We play classic rock covers, moderate stage volumes, usually my mix contains my vocals, some guitars, some of all the rest of the vocals.

as a secondary use I plan on using it for practicing and solo acoustic gigs

I'm looking at these models... here's my take on what I'm thinking so far in the little bit of research I've done.

PRX612M (reputation)

QSC K10 (like the mix and processing features)

YAM DSR112 (not available yet I know but looks promising)

EV ZXA1 (like the weight and lower price)

As far as price goes I'm trying to stay under $700ish

Just wondering what your experiences are with any of these models and which other ones I should be looking at that I don't have listed.

Thanks.

• Members

I'm seeing the EV ZX1A getting recommended more and more. I like EV and owned the passive versions. They are incredible little speakers, BUT I don't think the best option for a "buy once, cry once" purchase where you may want to re-purpose later.

You have to surmise if the situation you have know is a long term one. For instance, I use 10" monitors, but have been in the same band for 10+ years. We make good money doing it so buying what we want/need isn't an issue, but we also have a stable sound so we know what we have will work all the time, every time. For your description of use they seemingly fit the bill. If your stage volume isn't as "moderate" as you think, or if there would ever be the desire or necessity for them to end up getting pressed into mains duty, they just aren't the right tool for a full on band.

If there is any chance you'll need something for mains or monitors in a loud situation, the next band for instance, then I'd just get some nice 12" multi-purpose speakers such as the PRX 612M or the QSC K12 and be done with it. This option gives you a speaker meant to be both a floor monitor and main and would provide a universal solution for today and tomorrow.

• Members

ZXA1 would be the pick of the list.

So that means you discard my logic. Why? I mean if there's plenty o' money to spread around and try things out, then sure, buy the ZX1A. You'll not find them used so you'll have to shell out the cash for new. If in 3 months you figure out it's not as robust as you thought you take a loss and replace them.

Bill, do you find the ZX1A holds it's own against a PRX612M or K12? - Even though I only have experience with the passive ZX1 I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no frickin' way".

• Members

I'm not discounting your logic as it does make sense, however since the OP specifically asked for monitors, my answer was solely based on that application.

To compare an 8" speaker to 12" speakers is useless, simply not apples to apples. So no, the ZXA1 will probably not "hold its' own." I'll bet neither of the two 12' speakers would "hold their own" against my 10" EX10's.

• Members

Not sure everyone always compares a 12" to a 10" and is suprised when the 12" wins.....

:cop:

Before purchasing the PRX612m's, I put them side by side a K12. And they easily sounded more 'full', with better clarity.

And as stated before, they're better than the K10's I already own.

And again... I really would like to hear the 612m's next to the KW122's.

:wave:

• Members

I'm seeing the EV ZX1A getting recommended more and more. I like EV and owned the passive versions. They are incredible little speakers, BUT I don't think the best option for a "buy once, cry once" purchase where you may want to re-purpose later.

You have to surmise if the situation you have know is a long term one. For instance, I use 10" monitors, but have been in the same band for 10+ years. We make good money doing it so buying what we want/need isn't an issue, but we also have a stable sound so we know what we have will work all the time, every time. For your description of use they seemingly fit the bill. If your stage volume isn't as "moderate" as you think, or if there would ever be the desire or necessity for them to end up getting pressed into mains duty, they just aren't the right tool for a full on band.

If there is any chance you'll need something for mains or monitors in a loud situation, the next band for instance, then I'd just get some nice 12" multi-purpose speakers such as the PRX 612M or the QSC K12 and be done with it. This option gives you a speaker meant to be both a floor monitor and main and would provide a universal solution for today and tomorrow.

Thanks for the great advice... I can see myself in the situation(s) u described down the road. Most likely go the PRX / QSC K12 route, gives me the most versatility for future use and quenches the current need. dcaster - The local shop carries both, I'll AB them and let u guys know what I think.

• Members

I have to agree with this.

• Members

OP, what are you currently using for mains? Do you feel your mains are better than the PRX612M?

I like the idea of having one cab do it all - or at least most of it. But.... if money is no object (ie. buy once cry once doesn't matter to you), then the EV's would be nice.

• Members

Not sure everyone always compares a 12" to a 10" and is suprised when the 12" wins.....

The OP asked about those specific cabs. I feel their answer was exactly what the OP was wanting to see. I also agree with Bill. 12" won't always beat 10". With your logic I guess we should only look at 18" speakers because they will be better then 12" speakers because they are bigger.

• Members

The OP asked about those specific cabs. I feel their answer was exactly what the OP was wanting to see. I also agree with Bill. 12" won't always beat 10". With your logic I guess we should only look at 18" speakers because they will be better then 12" speakers because they are bigger.

I'm sorry I didn't response right away, I was over here trying to open the cookie jar with a rock, but I fear my logic is flawed. Figured the rock was bigger so it should win.

My comment was meant to imply that people should compare similiar items, not unsimiliar ones. I see the K10 put up against the PRX 512 and PRX 612 an awful lot, and it's unfair to the product line. K10's are $699 MAP, K12's at $799, PRX 612 at $699, and the EV-10 i'd imagine upwards of $2000.

The PRX 612 compares well to the K-12, but the K10 lacks the extension that the 612 has IMO, because they are really only similiar in price.

I deal with this weekly as musical retailer, and it's hard to convince people that maybe their logic is the one that is flawed.

• Members

Using JUST the OP's original post as a guide... I'd recommend the ZXA1 as Bill did.

Classic rock covers @ moderate stage volumes? - Check.

Practice and solo acoustic? -Check.

Price? - Checkity Check. (Can be found for significantly less than his budget.)

... and he likes the lighter weight, too.

With the info. from his subsequent post he's started thinking that he might need more substantial mains or monitors down the road based on the advice he's getting. Playing Devil's advocate here... I know it's good advice to tell people to think ahead and buy more capability than they need so that they don't have to live our mistakes and have to deal with selling gear that you've outgrown... but realistically that's probably only applicable to less than a third of those asking. I'd suggest in this particular case that a ZXA1 would be the best fit NOW... and worse-case it's a dedicated rehearsal and/or solo acoustic system that's going to be easy on the back and wallet for years to come.

That's my $.02... but I'm a "right tool for the job" and "less is more" kinda guy.

• Members

OP, what are you currently using for mains? Do you feel your mains are better than the PRX612M?

I like the idea of having one cab do it all - or at least most of it. But.... if money is no object (ie. buy once cry once doesn't matter to you), then the EV's would be nice.

Our mains right now are EV SX300s (passive) over SW118s. I guess the PRX612 / K12 would be an upgrade if used as such. But right now I need a monitor that I can grow with. If down the road money becomes available for the PA I'm probably going to upgrade other areas first before buying another PRX612 /K12 to be used as mains. I love the prospect of the ZX1A but for $200 more having something that could offer more versatility seems the way to go. I think AH always says it best "buy the best equipment u can afford". Not saying i have a ton of money but this logic makes the most sense to me. Right now the monitor I use is a Yam BR12M, I'm sure either way the upgrade will be huge.

• Members

Using JUST the OP's original post as a guide... I'd recommend the ZXA1 as Bill did.

Classic rock covers @ moderate stage volumes? - Check.

Practice and solo acoustic? -Check.

Price? - Checkity Check. (Can be found for
significantly
less than his budget.)

... and he likes the lighter weight, too.

With the info. from his subsequent post he's started thinking that he might need more substantial mains or monitors down the road based on the advice he's getting. Playing Devil's advocate here... I know it's good advice to tell people to think ahead and buy more capability than they need so that they don't have to live our mistakes and have to deal with selling gear that you've outgrown... but realistically that's probably only applicable to less than a third of those asking. I'd suggest in this particular case that a ZXA1 would be the best fit NOW... and worse-case it's a dedicated rehearsal and/or solo acoustic system that's going to be easy on the back and wallet for years to come.

That's my $.02... but I'm a "right tool for the job" and "less is more" kinda guy.

ok now you got me thinking again... :confused: u bring up a good point.

good thing I have a while before I make the decision. I'm going to go demo a few this week, let you guys know how it goes.

• Members

I would suggest taking a look at the EV SXa250.

It is a real wood cabinet that is pretty durable and doesn't weigh all that much.

But the sound quality is very good, nicest sounding powered speaker by far IMO of the $700 or under pricing.

Search around and you can grab these from real EV dealers for $700 or less.

http://www.electro-voice.com/product.php?id=210

• Members

... I know it's good advice to tell people to think ahead and buy more capability than they need so that they don't have to live our mistakes and have to deal with selling gear that you've outgrown... but realistically that's probably only applicable to less than a third of those asking.

I don't agree with this percentage at all, I think it's much higher. More importantly I don't think the suggestion of a PRX or K series box is "more capability than they need". It's one thing if the suggestion was to get a subwoofer, and dual 12" speaker, but we're just talking about a "tweak" and not a major overhaul of the concept of what is needed. Uber compact is handy and looks cool, but isn't as versatile. It's pretty much that simple. If money isn't an issue or you want multiple speakers down the road and would always have a practical application for the ZX1A then it's no big deal I guess.

• Members

If the application was theatre, jazz, folk, front fills, or really light rock all of the time, then the ZX1A might be the ideal product. But as things get a little louder, harder and more beefy sounding the application starts moving away from where the ZX1A shines.

Right tool for the toughest part of the job, not the easiest.

• Members

The question is if the ZX1A is the right tool for the OP's job and while it might do ok for 80% of what the OP wants to do, I do not think it's going to be really adequate for all of what the OP wants. That's an expensive cabinet to be disappointed with IMO.

• Members

The question is if the ZX1A is the right tool for the OP's job and while it might do ok for 80% of what the OP wants to do, I do not think it's going to be really adequate for all of what the OP wants. That's an expensive cabinet to be disappointed with IMO.

But by the same token... if you can do 80%+ with something that is cost/weight/size efficient why not continue to advocate as you have time and time again to inexperienced folk that get to that point... RENT.

Don't get me wrong... I've bought into what you're saying AH and others... but IMHO, if you're doing bar/pub gigs and the ZXA1 isn't cutting it as a monitor... then your stage volume is TOO LOUD. I really like Mark's comment that all new bands should have to start w/ a 100W system to get that under control. Genius.

I suppose a good question for the OP is, "What monitors are your classic rock band mates using and how loud do they run them?"

• Members

I suppose a good question for the OP is, "What monitors are your classic rock band mates using and how loud do they run them?"

Drummer/vocals - IEMs

Bass/vocals - BR12M

Lead Guitarist/vocals - Galaxy Hotspot on a mic stand (Passive)

Rhythm Guitar/vocals (Me) - BR12M

Usually we just run them loud enough to get the vocals in our monitors up over the guitar backline and drums on stage in proximity to where we are. As far as what SPL i have no idea. There is room for more volume if needed, they are not running into limit/clip if that's what u mean.

My reasoning for wanting the upgrade is that the last couple of gigs I'm just having trouble with the clarity and overall sound I get out of the BR12M with my vocals. I even think some of you have eluded to this before with the lower end Yam cabs.

Archived