New band clueless what to buy to play live

• Members

Yep, and then there's the fact that wynn is talking about general speech, and the OP is asking for something that works for a band.

... AND a band with two keyboardists that could potentially run way beyond (both higher and lower) the required freq spectrum of most bands... as JW said.

OP... oh where for art thou?

• Members

What I use for my band when we need to mic everything is a three way system with 150 watts for the HF horns, 400 for the mids and 800 for the subs. Indoors we don't push it, but that system is way out of the OPs price range and probably out of their operational experience. If you can't use it well, it would sound like sh|t. The band rarely mics everything. In the larger rooms we do toss a mic on the kick drum, that's when we add the subs. I don't do much low down stuff on the keys and the piano is the only one that would be going through the PA. In larger places I would be bringing a second leslie for the organ. We aren't currently likely to be playing to crowds that need more power than that. (Though the mid and sub amps can kick out more power with more speakers.)

• Members

Hey OP here again, so it seems most people are telling me I should buy a powered mixer and two powered speakers... so here's the questions I have:

1. Do I just plug the keyboards and microphone into the mixer (which will go to the speakers) and I'll be pretty much good to play live? Like I don't need separate amps for each instrument and vocals I just run it all through the mixer and speakers?

2. Would this be a good setup to practice with too?

3. Will I need monitor speakers or should I get them?

4. I see P.A. packages on MusiciansFriend.com that come with a mixer, two speakers, a microphone and some cables, is this a good purchase or should I buy them individually?

• Members

I'll say it once more - buy a couple nice powered speakers so you can have a decent practice rig, then do not buy anything else until a few shows down the road. While I applaud your diligence and questions, they show that you're not ready to buy a complete PA system. You don't know what you need and how to use it.

I've personally made every mistake I mentioned in my previous post and a few I didn't (like double 15's mains so I wouldn't need subs).

• CMS Author

Hey OP here again, so it seems most people are telling me I should buy a powered mixer and two powered speakers... so here's the questions I have:

1. Do I just plug the keyboards and microphone into the mixer (which will go to the speakers) and I'll be pretty much good to play live? Like I don't need separate amps for each instrument and vocals I just run it all through the mixer and speakers?

2. Would this be a good setup to practice with too?

3. Will I need monitor speakers or should I get them?

4. I see P.A. packages on MusiciansFriend.com that come with a mixer, two speakers, a microphone and some cables, is this a good purchase or should I buy them individually?

I don't think anyone suggested both powered speakers and powered mixer. You use one or the other. Of course, you can also use a passive mixer, passive speakers, and power amp(s).

A passive mixer and powered ("active") speakers is much preferred over a powered mixer/passive speaker system.

• Members

You're definitely a candidate for powered speakers. The speaker processing is built in and it's flexible and scalable. (And that's coming from a fan of having passive speakers and separate amps for monitors.)

Your budget is in the ballpark for getting a decent pair to get started with, too. Most have multiple inputs as mentioned and would let you go mixer-less as noted. While a passive mixer would give you more flexibility for controlling everything, it doesn't really sound like you know what all of your needs are yet... so skip that for now unless you want ANOTHER piece of gear that you have to try to unload down the road.

A pair of K12s or PRX612Ms would get you off on the right foot with a little cash left for mics, cables and stands.

Don't over think it.

• Members

Oh okay I didn't notice no one said powered speakers and a powered mixer in the same post, I'm trying to read more about this stuff before I buy anything and again thanks for the replies. Like I said I am pretty clueless...:cry: But I've been looking up everything people have been recommending and reading reviews and trying to read info on what different things are for.

• Members

What I use for my band when we need to mic everything is a three way system with 150 watts for the HF horns, 400 for the mids and 800 for the subs.

There's no doubt in my mind that a 100 watt PA system is A-OK, FINE for many situations, assuming of-course that the band is capable of playing within the limitations of the system. Personally, I believe that most start-up bands would be much better off starting with a 100 watt system and learning how to make that work before kicking it up a couple of notches... rather than starting with a sledgehammer and letting it rip, oblivious to what actually being presented to the buying public.

Archived