cs400 input question; also blown cap in s1k

• Members

i have 2 old school cs400's here. one has TWO transformers on the xlr inputs (1 transformer for each xlr input). the other has ONE transformer on one xlr input, and some type of "cap" on the other.

what is the "cap"? its just a pin block. i assume i cannot use a balanced XLR on that input, so i am thinking i will just use a TS jumper between channels on that amp(?) if i understand corectly the amp is unbalanced after the input transformer so jumping unbalance from channel a to channel b should be ok.

one cs400 has a broken plastic shaft on the attenuator knob. it just falls out although works otherwise, except wont shut off the compressor by pulling the knob.

i took apart all these amps to clean them, and good god almighty they were beyond filthy. i have never seen anything like it.

one of the samson s1000 amps has a blown capacitor, a 100WV 6800uf cap, blown to bits, black gunk all over the inside of the amp. there are six of these, i think in the power supply section. the amp surprisingly still works(?) this particular amp has what looks like 18 gauge or smaller wires running several hundred feet to a pair of B52 craptastic speakers. could this be the cause of the demise of the caps? several other amps have this small gauge run, i'm concerned by this.

i replaced the totally blown amp with a GX3 which works nice. the rest of the system needs yanked out and burned.

• Members

The "cap" is the octal jumper block that just connects the 1/4" TS inputs to the XLRs to allow unbalanced XLR input. If it is removed, the 1/4" inputs will still work, but the XLRs will be disconnected. It can be pulled out of the octal socket and replaced with either a balancing transformer or a crossover module.

So, yes, you can hook them up as you describe.

• Members

should i recommend they stop using the amp with the blown cap? it still works and has been in use this way for i dont know how long. the black stuff was dried onto the casing so its likely been a while.

out of 3 samson s1000, i have one that is in working condition after a decade. the cs400's show no sign of stopping.

Archived