Question about sennheiser e965

• Members

hey,

i am female vocalist for symphonic metal band for about eight months now. been using sm58 for past several years for rehearsals and stage and just bought a Sennheiser e965. sm58 to me sucks. competent for rehearsal (although not great), in pro venues my vocal quality is lost. particular sometimes at live venues with professional engineers at the console, even if i am cranked up on the monitors, still have trouble hearing myself over the large sound of my loud metal band, never have a problem with pitch at rehearsals or in studio, but looking back over video i am slightly out of pitch at shows which is really annoying and the quality just doesn't seem like it is there for a pro stage. i am also going to buy in ear monitors also but really wanted to try a mic change first.

so bought the sennheiser 965 because it looked like the top of the line sennheiser...and good for dynamic vocalists. by dynamic vocals i mean... sometimes i sing very clean vocals(clear as a bell), there is opera, there's some low r&b/soulful type vocals, and i also sometimes scream. have used condenser mics in my home studio and other studios, always comes out sounding great, but have never used one on stage or at rehearsals. we are trying to stick to playing larger venues and we have a pa at our rehearsal space. do i need to bring my pre amp with me wherever i go now? how do condensers like this work for live...

Thanks in advance,

• Members

Condensers are more likely to pick up ambient noise, they're not quite as good as dynamics at rejecting off-axis bleed. So IMO a condenser is a step backward for you. Perhaps if your band wasn't so damn loud you'd have an easier time hearing yourself.

Look into a dynamic with a hypercardioid pattern and also look into learning proper mic technique.

• Members

Might have better results if you just get the band to turn down the backline.

we've done that, particularly on stage when there is an engineer and it still does not change the quality or the fact that i just have a large band and there is a lot of sound coming out from one place.

• Members

Condensers are more likely to pick up ambient noise, they're not quite as good as dynamics at rejecting off-axis bleed. So IMO a condenser is a step backward for you. Perhaps if your band wasn't so damn loud you'd have an easier time hearing yourself.

Look into a dynamic with a hypercardioid pattern and also look into learning proper mic technique.

This particular condenser is not supposed to pick up as much ambient/background noise as others do. this is why i bought it.

about mic technique...i've been singing and writing for over twenty three years, but not symphonic metal and mostly in studios/controlled atmospheres. so i'm not a newbee to microphones or microphone technique...there may be something though that i'm missing with regards to this type of music or with stage, as i've only worked with live music for four years.

• Members

From reading your post, it appears you really have just one problem--stage volume. If your band cannot turn down any further the IEM would probably help. I don't think your move to a condenser is going to help. With that much stage volume, you might now encounter feedback problems that were not there before (IEM would avoid that). Even if you do go to IEM, the condenser is going to pick up a lot of the backline which isn't going to help.

The only mic I have personal experience with that worked really well on loud stages was the EV nd967. Alot of folks who's opinion I trust also speak highly of the Audix om7 for such situations. I don't know if there is something else that could be done with the location or tuning of the wedges that might help. Talk to the sound guys and tell them the problem. They might have a solution.

TW

• Members

You may be experienced but NOT with the particular situation that you find yourself in right now. Learn the difference and you will be one step closer to a good solution.

A condenser, and the one you are contemplating, is probably not going to help and likely to make the situation worse. You will need to look at rejection patterns of the mics, and mic technique for singing in a metal band lve at high volumes will be very different that singing in a studio or almost any other genre actually.

I would look at a hypercardioid mic, something like a Beta 58, OM-7, ND767 or 967 first off, but I would also adjust your mic technique to remain on axis and close to improve incident to off axis sound that determines the effective gain before feedback and intelligibility under high volume conditions.

• Members

Hey guys... update..I used the sennheiser last night and it sounded great at the rehearsal studio. had one of the people that works there set up the pa. he also uses a condenser mic. all he did was adjust the gain and mids. no feedback at all. mic sounds 1000 times better than the sm58. very clear and true to how i sound.

also have used it to record and it has an awesome sound.

Archived