Live compressor setup

• Members

I was trying to help my father hook up his compressor, but his board (Peavy Unity) has no channel or main inserts. It does however have a good effects loop. Is there a good way to use his compressor with these limitations? I know that the compressor won't react the way it's meant to without inserts, but I know of no other ways. Thanks for any advice in advance. Bryan

• Members

All I can say is UPGRADE and UPDATE. I had a Peavey Unity 2002-16RQ with case. A great basic multichannel mixer. SOLD IT because of the lack of inserts and unbalanced only outputs. Picked up a used Peavey RQ2314 as a replacement for near what I sold the 16RQ for. This is really a 12 channel unit, they also sold a 16 and 24 channel version. All the features of the Unity plus balanced outputs, all but the upper 4 channels have inserts, upper four channels have specialty functions (2 have polarity and pad switches, 2 have stereo line inputs usable WITH the mic input at the same time!), also a mono main out.

FX loops MIX the affected signal WITH the dry signal, not good for compression use.

Boomerweps

• Members

All I can say is UPGRADE and UPDATE. I had a Peavey Unity 2002-16RQ with case. A great basic multichannel mixer. SOLD IT because of the lack of inserts and unbalanced only outputs. Picked up a used Peavey RQ2314 as a replacement for near what I sold the 16RQ for. This is really a 12 channel unit, they also sold a 16 and 24 channel version. All the features of the Unity plus balanced outputs, all but the upper 4 channels have inserts, upper four channels have specialty functions (2 have polarity and pad switches, 2 have stereo line inputs usable WITH the mic input at the same time!), also a mono main out.

FX loops MIX the affected signal WITH the dry signal, not good for compression use.

Boomerweps

Thanks Boomerweps,

I suggested the same thing. But he says he wants to keep it "simple" and not purchase new gear. I understand I guess, but I don't have any other suggestions for him. BTW he has the same mixer you had. I just thought maybe some of the sound genius' on here would know of a work around. Thanks! Bryan

• Members

Boomerweps

I've used this technique to great effect both live and in the studio. ;) But in this case, you're probably right.

I'm guessing that the goal is to compress the signal feeding the main mix, so the solution is simple: don't.

• Members

Time for a clean used Allen & Heath Mix Wiz. Not only does the Unity lack features and have lousy channel EQ, of the all the mixers I've used it's the only one that's made me say "I don't think this board sounds very good".

I was going to recommend a Mackie CFX20. I have the CFX16 and love it. It seems that many people are selling their CFX's and going for the ONYX series so there are plenty of used ones available. And it has all the feature he needs to successfully compress his mix.

Side note: Would it work to run the kick mic straight to the compressor then to the mixer? I've never tried it so I don't know. Thanks! Bryan

• Members

The CFX mixers really aren't very good. They have some serious reliability issues. Look into a used Mixwiz.

Not a good idea to do mic straight to compressor.

I didn't think it would be a very good idea to do that, but I thought I would ask. And I am not disputing your knowledge of the CFX series mixer, but I have had mine since 2005; it has been dropped, had beer and water spilled on it, thrown around, and used in numerous countries in Europe and the states. I still have had no problems with it. Maybe I just got lucky, but I am sold. Thanks for the reply!

• Members

I didn't think it would be a very good idea to do that, but I thought I would ask. And I am not disputing your knowledge of the CFX series mixer, but I have had mine since 2005; it has been dropped, had beer and water spilled on it, thrown around, and used in numerous countries in Europe and the states. I still have had no problems with it. Maybe I just got lucky, but I am sold. Thanks for the reply!

Definitely didn't affect all of them but it did hit enough to make them a reliability liability for working musicians.

• Members

You are a lucky guy.

Archived