Looking for a small, quality, non powered mixer

• Members

I have been working on getting my single act together (no music stands :D). I now am looking to get my gear act together for this. I have 2 JBL PRX 512Mi's, Mix Wiz 16:3, great mics (Neuman, AKG), effects, VoiceLive 2 (to be used very sparingly :)) etc. etc.. Because it is just me, my acoustic, a modeller for the Tele I am looking for a smaller mixer. There is no need to be hauling 16 channels when much less will do. Any recommendations for a 4-6 channel mixer. I am open on price as I don't like cheap stuff.

• Members

I realize "Peavey" and "quality" don't belong in the same sentence for some folks, but my PV14 works flawlessly, and the PV6 seems like it would do the trick just fine. I guess the eq is the department that would be a step down from your MixWiz, but it works well enough.

• Members

Allen and Heath Zed 10fx IS THE "BUZZ" ON THE ACOUSTID GUITAR FORUMS. I have the Zed 12FX and love it. Pluses and minuses. The 12FX has sliders instead on knobs and has a mute switch for each channel and channel inserts. The 10FX is smaller and lighter and also has guitar pre-amps for 2 of the channels eliminating any need for DI boxes. I have never had a problem going into my 12FX going right into the board. Both have swept mids.

There is a small Soundcraft board that is also highly thought of.

The consensus is to stay away from the newer Mackies for some reason.

• Members

Just keep the MixWiz and put up with the extra size and weight. You'll be kicking yourself if you get rid of it. I don't know of anything smaller that's nearly as good.

I didn't say I was going to get rid of the 'wiz. I am just trying to distill my gear down to something more manageble for a single act.

Another thing I might look for is a small sub to complement the 512's. Suggestions?

• Members

I've had great results, in a similar setup with an Acoustic EMG on the guitar, Yamaha MagicStomp, Audix OM5, Vocalist Live 2 for effects and harmony sent to a PV6 mixer and run into Mackie 450's or Bose L1 depending on the venue. If I have other players sit in with me, and I need more channels than the Peavey provides, I use a Mackie 1202-VLZ. The MagicStomp and VL2 give the effects I want so none are needed on the mixer.

None of these brands seem to hold much respect here but I play 2 or 3 nights each week and have never had problems with the gear or complaints about the sound.

Dale

• Members

The Yamaha mg series was originally my first choice and seems like a great bang for the buck mixer. The OP seems to not mind going for some extra coin and is why I didn't suggest it. Seems the build is not as robust as the A&H and also doen't have swept-mids (which seems to be a big plus to most).

Archived