Wireless in ear monitors or headphone amps/hard wired for live performance

• Members

I play in a five piece cover band and we are looking at going with in-ear monitors. Our drummer already uses in-ear monitors with a headphone amp. Our lead singer is going to purchase the entry level Shure wireless in-ear system. I would like to get in-ear capability for rest of the band, but am choking a bit on the price tag for quality wireless systems. I have seen bands where everyone is hard-wired to a headphone amp. I understand it could limit mobility on the stage a bit, but is there any other downside? Any suggestions on good headphone amps for in-ear monitoring? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

• Members

The other downside is the lack of limiting. This is a must for anything that you're going to stick into your ear canal. A dropped mic could leave permanent repercussions (and ringing). You might want to look at Shure's PSM200 & 400... you have a hard-wired option there. AT offers some good packages as well, but I'm not as familiar with them.

• Members

+1 to this.

Yep, unless he's also got a limiter in place, your drummer is already at risk, and the rest of you would be using just a headphone amp to buds/cans.

Not to be underestimated.

Does the PSM200 have a built in limiter? Is there a headphone amp with a limiter? Our singer is purchasing the PSM200...should be here this week.

• Members

Thanks for this discussion. This relates to our ongoing quest to keep our stage volume low and keep the monitors down. I have not tried IEMs, but I often see those that use them take one or both of them out of their ears. I assume this must be due to the fact that they're not hearing the mix they're expecting, and have to "wing it" live? But, this seems quite common? For those that use IEMs, do you regularly use 2, or just 1, and do you often just take them out? Also, if you're playing an instrument in addition to singing, do you find it harder to play and sing when using IEMs than just using a monitor? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks.

• Members

Only in extreme circumstances will I take out my in-ears and put in earplugs. I usually try to make sure my mix is at least passable before the set.

Taking out one ear can be very dangerous. The result is that the perceived volume of the remaining monitor goes down, forcing you to turn it up in order to hear it over the stage volume. This is usually an unsafe listening level.

I don't have any experience singing with IEMs, so I can't really give you any feedback in that regard.

• Members

Thanks for this discussion. This relates to our ongoing quest to keep our stage volume low and keep the monitors down. I have not tried IEMs, but I often see those that use them take one or both of them out of their ears. I assume this must be due to the fact that they're not hearing the mix they're expecting, and have to "wing it" live? But, this seems quite common? For those that use IEMs, do you regularly use 2, or just 1, and do you often just take them out? Also, if you're playing an instrument in addition to singing, do you find it harder to play and sing when using IEMs than just using a monitor? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks.

I've found it's much easier to stay on-pitch because you can hear yourself so much better than through floor wedges - so much even, that I would often pull back (vocally) when I first started using them. IEM's do take some getting used to, but you get to sleep without ringing ears after the gig.

:phil:

• Members

I will NEVER EVER take one bud out when using my IEMs, for the already stated reason: to compensate for the perceived loss of volume, the reflex reaction is to turn the IEM level UP, and thus, increase your chances of damaging your hearing (and frankly, also going counter to one of the main points/reasons/benefits for IEMs (to allow you to lower your monitor volume)).

Singing with IEMs = way easier to hear myself, way easier to check my own pitch, just as others have said

I'd go so far as to say that anybody who finds it more difficult to hear themselves or stay in pitch while using IEMs is simply not using them well.

• Members

Thanks for all the great input on this subject...We may all go wireless IEM. As far as the buds themselves...it seems you can spend as much as you like on them (just like most products in the music industry). I have heard good things about alien ears. Anyone using them?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

IEM is the way to go,our band has gone this way with a mix of wired and wireless. We use a sure mixer for the drummer, keyboard player and base player as they share the same mix and don't sing. we use an art monitor mixer for the guitar player as his mic is routed through the mixer and he has the ability to adjust his mix levels between the provided stage mix and his own vocal mix level with the mixer controls onstage and our singer is wireless for the freedom to move on stage. The only drawback to the wireless is that the ability to adjust the vocal level onstage was lost. I use 3 aux sends to provide the different mixes required.the interesting thing was that by doing it this way, the whole band went IEM for under $1000 and the floor monitor system was sold and covered the cost.

Archived