Soundcraft MFXi 12 vs. Allen & Heath MixWizard 3 16:2

• Members

If you were talking about Phonic or berhinger or something in that vein using a new vender I'd be nervous. Generally soundcraft (harmon) does well and QC and I wouldn't expect any issues with this board. For a good 12ch, 3 band, 4 aux board I think it's great. Personally I'd buy one over the peavey with the confusing effects engine. But since the footprint is similar in size to a mixwiz/01V what use would it have... Buy an 01V. but that's just me.

• Members

If you were talking about Phonic or berhinger or something in that vein using a new vender I'd be nervous. Generally soundcraft (harmon) does well and QC and I wouldn't expect any issues with this board. For a good 12ch, 3 band, 4 aux board I think it's great. Personally I'd buy one over the peavey with the confusing effects engine. But since the footprint is similar in size to a mixwiz/01V what use would it have... Buy an 01V. but that's just me.

It's not just the footprint though, it's also vertical depth and (especially) weight. I think the market niche for the MFXi series (like the EFX and the smaller ZEDs from A&H) is for the portable, non-racked mixer. Something you can set on a convenient table, or on top of an amp rack, and patch easily from the top. The 12-channel version of the MFXi is only 15 lbs. compared to 22 lbs. for the MixWiz, 23 lbs. for the StudioLive 16, and 33 lbs. for an O1V96. While the footprint is getting similar, those are all heftier mixers that you'd be more likely to use in a heavier, larger rack. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

One reason why it will take a while before out group upgrades from an MFXi8 is that I'm trying to keep things as lightweight and portable as I can... trying to avoid things like large rack cases on wheels. These little Soundcraft mixers are still in what I think of as a very portable category. "Portability" means different things to different folks, but the older I get, the more lightweight I want the gear to be. :)

Archived