MRX525 + subs?

• Members

We're a four-piece (guitar, keys, bass, drums) with a singer that does classic and modern rock in relatively small rooms (150 max). We're looking to upgrade our FOH speakers (Peavey PV115s).

I'm wondering if a pair of JBL MRX525s driven by a QSC PLX2402 would give us enough low end reinforcement for kick, bass, and keys that we could skip subs, or should we be looking at subs too? If so, what would you suggest?

FWIW, we also have a QSC GX5 available to use for FOH support.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

If you do a search on this forum, you'll not see a lot of love for dual 15's. They are big, heavy and don't handle the lows as well as separate subs plus smaller tops. The general consensus, if I'm not mistaken, is most bands playing moderate size venues are better off with separate subs and mid/high cabs. Whether you would get "enough" low end is highly subjective. They'll will work, and I saw a local band using Peavey dual 15 cabs that sounded fair. But compared to separate good subs and uppers, I think the separates will give better lows, and perhaps, clearer ( better ? ) mids and highs. If you want a suggestion, IMO, a pair of JBL PRX612's over (2) PRX618S-XLF's subs would definitely get you where you want to be. If you must go with passive speakers, a pair of MRX512's over (2) MRX518S's would would be better than (2) MXR 525's, for both portability, ability to get the boxes over the heads of the crowd, and general sonic clarity.

• Members

If you do a search on this forum, you'll not see a lot of love for dual 15's. They are big, heavy and don't handle the lows as well as separate subs plus smaller tops.

I use dual 15's over subs. Got a great deal on them and they are only 5 pounds heavier than the dual 12's in the same line.

• Members

The only dual 15 top boxes I'd use are JBL SRX (or equiv) or better. Usually the components in lesser boxes aren't as good quality for the kind of issues that come up with a dual 15 box. I'd recommend a single 12 or 15 over a single or dual 18. Subs make excellent speaker stands.

• Members

I've got the MRX525's and run them with some Yorkville single 18 subs under them. I think it is a great sounding setup personally. The 18's really give the low end some definition. I like the fact that the MRX525's don't weigh a ton.

Good luck.

Todd

• Members

I have Peavey DTH tops and subs. 215's over 218's. They're good sounding. The lower 15 does from 130hz to 250hz, maybe. The upper 15 does from ~250hz to about 1.2khz. But they have excellent horns. I would, however, change to SRX 525's and 218's in a heartbeat if I could come up with the $$$!

Archived