eq overheat sitting on amp? pa question.

• Members

I picked up a behringer eq for my monitor mix. I noticed in the owners manual it says to avoid setting the eq on an amplifier in the rack to avoid overheating. Of course, this is what I planned to do. Is it a common practice to keep other components away from the pa amps in the rack. As of right now I have one free space in the rack. I could mount the eq so there is 1 space between it and the amp.

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to do the most convenient setup for myself.

• Members

Not a silly question, maybe a silly statement in the owner's manual however. Overheating of an eq is about as rare of an event as a long troublefree life of that eq though.

A rela problem is noise induced into the eq from the magnetic field of the amp's power supply (assuming it's not an SMPS).

• Members

"air gaps" are always a good idea if u have spare slots.

andy,,is there any set distance u recomend in a situation like this?

i recommend as much distance as possible between behringer eq's and audio equipment.

:D

• Members

There won't be any issues if it's a decent amp. ART's will thermal out at 190f though. I've done it and they get really hot. 2ohm on 1 channel did it.

It's a QSC GX3, it will be running at 4 ohms, both channels.

• Members

Another sort of related question. I have a Yamaha mg16ccx mixer sitting on one of my speakers. For now, "permanent install". :lol: I just ordered a DBX 231. Don't have a rack, if I did, nowhere to put it. My plan, on top of the speaker, a piece of plywood, about the same size as the mixer, screw a 2x4 to the plywood on the back. Mixer front on top of the EQ, back of mixer siting on 2x4. Will this work, or do I need more space between EQ, and mixer.

• Members

Another sort of related question. I have a Yamaha mg16ccx mixer sitting on one of my speakers. For now, "permanent install".
:lol:
I just ordered a DBX 231. Don't have a rack, if I did, nowhere to put it. My plan, on top of the speaker, a piece of plywood, about the same size as the mixer, screw a 2x4 to the plywood on the back. Mixer front on top of the EQ, back of mixer siting on 2x4. Will this work, or do I need more space between EQ, and mixer.

i dont know but i keep thinking about a post in the future about a broken 131 and mixer that fell on the floor. might be smart to look at rack boxes.

Archived