• Members

I've been hesitant to post this thread because I know that these things are barely out yet but here it goes.

I'm looking to get a few wedges soon and I've been strongly considering the Passive ELX112. I'm just a little worried that this is a new version of something like the old Force series which I think were pretty bad. I realize that at this price point(299) I can't expect anything amazing but I'd at least like for it to be comparable to the Yamaha CM112V, which I use regularly at my church gig and would probably be happy with.

I don't need super high end wedges but I do need them to be serviceable enough. Has anyone actually heard or seen these in the flesh other than at NAMM yet? I don't think I'll be able to get them locally.

• Members

I had low to no expectations for these due to there price point, but was very impressed after hearing them. Don't get me wrong there not going to compete with expensive cabs.

Within the lower price range I think they are the best sounding choice, plus they have a nice look.

• Members

i own a pair of the elx112p's...love them so far, but have not gigged with them yet. this month my bands gigs have been in rooms with house sound or rooms we had to rent a sound co for because they were big..not complaining ;)

my first gig with the live x's outside of my house is this weekend and im pretty psyched. not many reviews on the net yet as most places dont even have these yet. i got them from proaudiostar.com out of new york for a really low price that i couldnt refuse.

here a review i thought was decent on youtube. my thoughts were the same as his but i didnt get to a/b them against anything other than some carvin 3 ways.

[video=youtube;r9vQCCWNWlw]

• Members

That is similar to how I felt about the Yamaha DSR112 compared to the K12. I would think the ELX112p would absolutely blow away anything from Carvin ;)

Give us a report on how it sounds out on the gig!

• Members

Don't know how the EV's would handle a rock band, but the DSR112 does it fine. We have a pair of Cerwin Vega CVA18's which the DSR easily out-gas. I haven't tried them over my Cerwin Vega folded horns yet (the folded horns are significantly more bass output than the powered front loaded subs). I am rootin for the the EV's though and hope to hear a favorable review soon ;)

• Members

Don't know how the EV's would handle a rock band, but the DSR112 does it fine. We have a pair of Cerwin Vega CVA18's which the DSR easily out-gas. I haven't tried them over my Cerwin Vega folded horns yet (the folded horns are significantly more bass output than the powered front loaded subs). I am rootin for the the EV's though and hope to hear a favorable review soon
;)

Do you recommend the CV folded horns? We used E-Quakes once for a gig and liked them for the most part...but the overall opinion on CV cabs in general seems to be crappy. Plus they're huge. Not sure if we're going to scoop them up, but there are some used ones for sale in our area.

• Members

I saw the active ones at a local shop today. Sounded nice. Didn't ask to turn them up. I think I'm going to buy one of the passive ones to test out anyway. The price is right.

also...most of the replys here have been about the active version. This thread is about the passive.

• Members

also...most of the replys here have been about the active version. This thread is about the passive.

Oops. I missed that ;)

I guess one thing about the Live X is they really haven't been around long enough to get any real world feedback, especially in the durability dept.

For sure. There is another thread I started about the Peavey 1x12 powered being MIA. Just got a reply about a guy that had a pair and one blew the first gig (not good).

• Members

Do you recommend the CV folded horns? We used E-Quakes once for a gig and liked them for the most part...but the overall opinion on CV cabs in general seems to be crappy. Plus they're huge. Not sure if we're going to scoop them up, but there are some used ones for sale in our area.

A folded horn will be louder at the same power input than a front loaded cab. Generally, the front loaded cab is able to go lower.

I have never felt that the CV folded horns (LR36 model) with a Crown K2 powering them lacked anything on the bottom. In fact, the K2 rarely has to breath hard at all (unless we are outdoors). Then again, I have never A/B'd them against anything like a Yorkville, so I may not know what I am missing :)

I can say that they are LOUD. Louder than most small or medium bars will let you turn them up. I have actually felt motion sick at practice with them turned up before (felt like I was dizzy from the bass pounding me). That never happens with the CVA118's.

• Members

monkeyland wrote:

Active or passive, does it really matter? If I was interested in the passives I'd want to know how the actives sounded, 'cause that represents a best case scenario of the right power/dsp applied to those speakers, which of course gives an indication of whats possible with the passives.

• Members

monkeyland wrote:

Active or passive, does it really matter? If I was interested in the passives I'd want to know how the actives sounded, 'cause that represents a best case scenario of the right power/dsp applied to those speakers, which of course gives an indication of whats possible with the passives.

well it does matter because of the lack of DSP. I ordered one of the ELX112 boxes yesterday anyway after an ELX112P in a local shop. I'll be offering up a report and as long as it all goes well ordering another once I get a chance to use it on my gigs next weekend.

• Members

The components on the passive and active versions are the same. Both have a EVS-12K woofer and DH-1K diaphram. The actives have a lower crossover point at 1.7 k Hz (vs 2.1 k Hz on the passive cabs) and frequency response goes nominally lower (50 HZ for active, 55 HZ for passive) which should not be an issue if running with subs or as monitors.

At thier price point, I may have to pick up a set of passive exl112 cabs and A/B them against my Sx300 cabs.

• Members

OK yeah missed that one in the manual. I just looked on the spec sheet and it just says flat 1000w.

Anyway, interested in hearing reviews on these things, passive or active. I don't know much about EV, are they typically a company that sell well below retail?

Archived