Working again

• Members

Do any of y'all fall in and out of working in event production?

For the last six months, my business has been making small websites (on the order of 120 different sites) for a salesman, but I am tired of the salesman and the sites.

I just got back into working for a venue, advancing their shows and looking for folks for them to book (in addition to doing marketing stuff and just generally taking care of details for them).

I just advanced my first show for them, for a smallish national act, and it made me kind of miss doing more event work.

My business is pretty diverse, but I am pretty good at the things I do. But it kind of feels like I could go in any of a number of directions and be okay, so I end up doing a lot of strange little jobs for folks, ranging from photography to radio ad production to web design.

I know that bunch of folks here work on three or four different small businesses: do you just kind of roll with where business takes you, or do you move in specific directions that you've planned out?

Is being diverse in types of work something you folks find normal, or have you found it better to simply stay in one area where you are an expert?

Goofy questions.

Anyhow, it is pleasant and odd to be working production stuff again. The first half of last year was running sound for country bands and deaf metal bands and hiphop shows (and was starting to go deaf myself), and I was glad to be done.

Now I actually miss plugging stuff in and pushing buttons.

• Members

Roll with it, you never know what the future will bring. After 30 years in pro audio (both as an equipment designer and system provider) I never would have thought I would be designing products for the MI (musical instrument) side of the business, and doing so much work too.

• Members

I for one do as much as possible (this absolutly includes economic considerations) of what I love/like to do. In my case it's the making/production of good music. If times get hard I will do other things to pay my bills. I have a view of earning money that I call a bucks to bulls&*$ ratio. I try to keep this ratio as good as is possible (but putting up with sometimes whako musos doesn't always feel like BS to me).

I'm not a slave to money. If I was I'd be in an entirely different business. I guess it depends on your own priorities and tolorance for time spent doing things you don't care about (and what things you DO care about). The older I get the lower my tolorance gets.

Pretty philosophical question. Thanks

• Members

Being in the trades I've found that the best way to stay busy is to be diverse. Everyone that I know that is highly specialized is also out of work much of the time.

I personally work as a Carpenter/roofer/handyman, Musician and also Provide/run sound. The sound portion is a very small percentage of my income at this point but It's growing. The other two switch between being 60/40 each way depending on how much construction work there is any given week but I could survive, admittedly on a meager level on just the Musician portion of it if I had to.

Archived