Monitor Package Upgrade

• Members

The original Radian MicroWedge was designed around a pre-existing Radian 12-2 coaxial component. When the MicroWedge went to EAW, the 12-2 stayed with Radian and they designed the Apex 1200 around it. It may be in your budget. Check out http://www.radianaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=26995&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=40

• Members

Agreed the Radian stuff would be pretty cool. Another solid passive choice, that should meet riders, would be JBL SRX712M or JBL VRX915M. I think an underrated series is the Peavey QW stuff. I've never heard the monitors, but a few clubs have a QW FOH and I'm always impressed with it. The monitors are sold as right and left models (QWML and QWMH), which seems like it could be a little limiting in certain applications. The name may not meet some riders, which is a shame.

I'll add that speakers like the powered RCF 722A would kick some ass and make your budget, but I'm not sure about the rider acceptability as it's more about the same old name and models so 1/2 bands wouldn't even know what RCF is. I own the previous model, the 522A. It's a lot like a powered JBL SRX box - large exit compression driver, low crossover point of 1,200 Hz for a very open midrange sound and capable of getting loud as hell.

• Members

The original Radian MicroWedge was designed around a pre-existing Radian 12-2 coaxial component. When the MicroWedge went to EAW, the 12-2 stayed with Radian and they designed the Apex 1200 around it. It may be in your budget. Check out

I'm aware of the EAW Microwedge so I will probably follow up on that. Do many pro audio companys deal Radian?

Thanks!

• Members

SRX-712M is pretty universally accepted, sounds good, mirrors nicely and reasonably priced. A little light on the low end though, a 715 might be a better choice for a drum box

I have been seriously considering the SRX series. What amps would you sugest to drive them? Also, have you heard any of the products from DB technologies? I'm been looking at the DVX series, and I would be interested to hear a first hand review.

Your insight is allways appreciated, Aged!

• Members

Just got a pair of ZXA5s and used them for monitors at band practice the other night. Best sounding monitor I've used to date and no problems with feedback (even with no eqing). I didn't push them, but I can tell that they could get loud as all get out if need be.

• Members

Figure out what an SRX712 rig would cost. Figure out what "the good stuff" would cost. If you buy the SRXs, how many times will the money you saved rent "the good stuff" for those bands who won't accept the SRXs? (I expect that any band who won't take the SRXs will likely be a pain in the ass no matter what you have, and may reject what ever you have even if you are confident that it's the best thing available at any price - so you'll still end up renting sometimes.)

Archived