Advice on listening and exploring and learning...

• Members

Hey guys! :wave:

So through some sweet peoples, I now have in my rack a DBX 166xl and a DBX 1074. :love:

So first of all... on the quad gate, what does the filter do? Is that like a movable HPF?

And my main question... how should I go about practicing using the gates/compression/etc to shape sound?

And I'm not looking for solutions to problems I don't have or that kind of thing, I just want to expirement and know what to listen for and understand what each little knob twist is accomplishing.

Should I start with vocals or maybe a tom tom? Any input would be great.

Thanks! :D

• Members

If you can get a multi-track recording of the band and pipe it back through the PA you could go crazy messing around with different EQ's and processing. IMO, this is the #1 benefit of digital boards like the StudioLive. The ability to remix the show as if you were there that night is remarkable. You'll learn so much about EQ and processing. As an example, being able to EQ an instrument by itself, then putting the band around it and re-eqing so it sounds good in the mix, then soloing it again to notice how it may not sound particularly good by itself. The only way you can do something like this is to have everything at your fingertips to punch in and out.

Just last night I compared running my system 3 ways:

1 - Aux fed subs with Ashly crossover

2 - No aux fed subs but with Ashly crossover

3 - With only the built in crossover in the subs of my powered system

• Members

The filter on the gate is for the control signal, it's a bandpass that would normally be used on the sidechain of the control. It's purpose is to focus the gate's control signmal on the signal being gated. For example, if you are gating the kick but the snare is really loud off the drum, the gate may open on the snare's bleed rather than the kis'd signal. Centering the control signal's filter on the kick spectrum (say 100 Hz) will ignore the out of band bleed that the snare puckup might cause.

• Members

The filter on the gate is for the control signal, it's a bandpass that would normally be used on the sidechain of the control. It's purpose is to focus the gate's control signmal on the signal being gated. For example, if you are gating the kick but the snare is really loud off the drum, the gate may open on the snare's bleed rather than the kis'd signal. Centering the control signal's filter on the kick spectrum (say 100 Hz) will ignore the out of band bleed that the snare puckup might cause.

Thanks! Thats a perfect explanation.

• Members

If you can get a multi-track recording of the band and pipe it back through the PA you could go crazy messing around with different EQ's and processing.

I agree, though if piping it through the PA is not possible, working with software on your home computer would be a reasonably sufficient alternative.

You won't have the stage wash to deal with (which can make things bother easier and harder), but it'll give you a good starting point.

-Dan.

Archived