Removal of Foam Adhesive Goo from Roadcase/Pelikan Case?

• Members

UV light destroys urethane foam pretty fast; it turns orange and crumbly and you can brush it off with a stiff brush. Cold sometimes works well, as the plastics contract to different extents and sometimes it "potato chips" right off

Oh I reread the OP; he wants to pull the foam off the interior that was installed at the Pelican factory, its probably one of the 3M spray adhesives and made to LAST, you may have the best luck with a rotary wire brush and a lot of effort but I''d reline it with something if the (now horrid) looks matter

• Members

Depends on the type of glue. Hot glue is tough, goo be gone doesn't do a good job with that BUT it does a great job with solvent based glues.

Determine the glue type then the solution.

Yes... I'm hoping the OP can post a picture. I'll suggest that if the glue looks like it's applied in a "rope like fashion", then it probably was hot glue. I'll suggest that if it's wall to wall, then it was probably some sort of contact cement.

• Moderators

Yes... I'm hoping the OP can post a picture. I'll suggest that if the glue looks like it's applied in a "rope like fashion", then it probably was hot glue. I'll suggest that if it's wall to wall, then it was probably some sort of contact cement.

Pretty sure it's hot glue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

After doing a little research on glue... I ran across a tidbit of info that might be useful for your hot glue removal project.

Rumor has it that "hot glue" isn't actually glue in the classic sense (as I think of glue), but rather "hot glue" is generally a thermoset plastic. Rumor also has it that hot glue generally becomes increasingly more brittle the colder it gets. Therefore; one method of removing hot glue is to get it really cold and then either scrape it off, or crack it off. Maybe try putting your case in a freezer (if you have a freezer big enough)... chill the case down to like zero and you might be able to flake off the glue like scraping ice off a windshield. Or hose the glue on the case down with a CO2 fire extinguisher and beat it with a hammer... or maybe not... I suspect the case is also plastic and it might shatter like glass.

Archived