Monoprice cable quality

• Members

I've recently purchased a couple of cables from monoprice, and was impressed with the apparent quality of the cables for the price. Nice connectors, sturdy wire (a little on the thick side, but still flexible). Has anyone used these cables for a period of time and have any impressions on them good or bad? Is the shielding sufficient for most performance environments, and do they hold up well?

• Members

I have a handful of 3', 25' and 50' XLR's from Monoprice... and also have several 1/4" to XLR 25' cables as well.

They've held up great after a year and a half of use... ~50 shows. Also consider they are subject to our hot summers and cold winters of Boston. They're definitely better than the Hosa "Live-Wire" cables, as I've had a couple of those fail in the time that I've had the Monoprice cables.

• Members

I have some mic cables and balanced instrument cables, so far so good after a year or so (mostly practice and not gigs due to being on third band :facepalm:).

I also like audiopile.net for cables, they seem to have a great rep on various forums and the prices are good.

• Members

I was just on
reading about HDMI cables and since they are digital, they either work or don't work. There is no "good, better, best" when it comes to those so I just bought some of off Monoprice.

My understanding is that on the audio side, a cable that's overly capacitive can round off the pulses, which can induce jitter and errors that need to be corrected.

• Members

I was just on
Lifehacker
reading about HDMI cables and since they are digital, they either work or don't work. There is no "good, better, best" when it comes to those so I just bought some of off Monoprice.

You should hear the great line from the sales people at the big box chain (yellow and blue) retailer on why you should have HDMI's from Monster Cable. :facepalm:

• Members

You should hear the great line from the sales people at the big box chain (yellow and blue) retailer on why you should have HDMI's from Monster Cable.
:facepalm:

I wait for it but I must look like an informed customer cause I never get the pitch.

• Members

My understanding is that on the audio side, a cable that's overly capacitive can round off the pulses, which can induce jitter and errors that need to be corrected.

By the time this happens, most of the errors are uncorrectable anyway and functionally it stops working.

• Members

You should hear the great line from the sales people at the big box chain (yellow and blue) retailer on why you should have HDMI's from Monster Cable.

I had some half wit sales kid at Circuit City try to sell me a Monster cable HDMI cable for the $80 DVD player I'd just bought. Cable cost $89 bucks, more than the damned player. Insisted it was much better than anything else. I told him it was transmitting 0's and 1's and you weren't going to get any better 0's and 1's no matter what cable you used. Went to some el cheapo store and got a cable for $4 bucks. Works just fine thank you.

• Members

I had some half wit sales kid at Circuit City try to sell me a Monster cable HDMI cable for the $80 DVD player I'd just bought. Cable cost $89 bucks, more than the damned player. Insisted it was much better than anything else. I told him it was transmitting 0's and 1's and you weren't going to get any better 0's and 1's no matter what cable you used. Went to some el cheapo store and got a cable for $4 bucks. Works just fine thank you.

Exactly my point too...

• Members

I recently read a full-blown "review" of a DIY AC power cable (cost over 100 bucks) for an audiophile system. Paragraphs about how with THIS power cable, it sounded like the "band was playing in the same room..."

I'm a bit of a cork sniffer when it comes to guitar gear, and endlessly pursue tone, and yes, I believe I can hear (and 'feel') a difference in things like guitar cables and tubes, but I tend to think I keep these things in perspective...

I guess to each his own.

• Members

I recently read a full-blown "review" of a DIY AC power cable (cost over 100 bucks) for an audiophile system. Paragraphs about how with THIS power cable, it sounded like the "band was playing in the same room..."

Hmmm... I don't have any special AC Power cables, and when I'm mixing a band it still sounds like they're playing in the same room.

They must be using these ultra mega super tera awesome connectors:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=110-437

• Members

Hmmm... I don't have any special AC Power cables, and when I'm mixing a band it still sounds like they're playing in the same room.

They must be using these ultra mega super tera awesome connectors:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=110-437

I don't believe I have ever seen a 15A Edison style commercial power cord that even approached $500... so I believe the testimonials are absolutely accurate. I also strongly suspect there are no penguins in my garden at this time, so the penguin deterrent rocks in my garden must be doing their job (and well worth the price I paid for them).

Archived