Stage configuration causes bass feedback???

• Members

My Brothers,

Last night I subbed for (4) piece dance band. Guitar, sax, keys, and drums (me). During sound check we immediately had low end bass feedback and it was chronic all night long. I play Roland e-drums and the keyboard player plays bass on one keyboard, and the rest on another, mic'd sax and guitar. I have IEM and the rest using wedges.

I noticed the (30' wide x 8' deep) stage had a (24") high wall along the entire front. Can this wall cause bass feedback problems? Speakers (2x18 subs with 1x15 tops) were placed on the floor in front of this wall.

• Members

Had to have been a mic turned up too loud in the monitors (most likely) or the mains. Why didn't yous guys just turn it down a bit?

I recently had a "soundguy" telling me my solid body electric bass guitar was feeding back :freak:. Turned out he had the snare mic turned up in the drummer's wedge which was right under the mic (and right next to me) :facepalm:.

• Members

My Brother,

You may be right. Wasn't my band, but the leader likes it really loud, especially in the monitors. Something unique about these local dance hall bars liking it really loud. But, I'd played with these guys before in a similar sized place before, but without the short wall in front of the stage and no feedback.

My regular jazz and dance bands never have that problem because we don't play stupid loud!

Anyway, not my problem anymore. It was a smoke filled venue and I've had my fill of that. Too many other non smoking places to play!

• Members

I'm guessing it was front end (subs), though IME the kick drum mic would be the culprit (if it was actually feeding back). Every other mic might normally be high-passed eliminating much of what I'd consider "bass" feedback.

Also, with certain room/stage configurations, our subs will "ring" like crazy even though there's no feedback issue. Out front, things sound great, we're just getting too much of it on stage.

• Members

I'm guessing it was front end (subs), though IME the kick drum mic would be the culprit (if it was actually feeding back). Every other mic might normally be high-passed eliminating much of what I'd consider "bass" feedback.

Also, with certain room/stage configurations, our subs will "ring" like crazy even though there's no feedback issue. Out front, things sound great, we're just getting too much of it on stage.

I noticed this, this weekend. I would run music between bands, and it was SO boomy on stage. I'd start making my way back to the board to adjust, but everything was fine out front.

• Members

I noticed this, this weekend. I would run music between bands, and it was SO boomy on stage. I'd start making my way back to the board to adjust, but everything was fine out front.

My Brother,

You have a point. The stage was completely closed with hard surfaces on all sides except the front. The sax player went into the crowd and said it sounded fine. Our stage was very "Boomey!" My e-drums went into a single mixer channel, and I'm fairly sure there was no gate or compressor.

The band leader loves it loud and bassy playing all that Zydeco and Cajun dance music....

Archived