Pre-recorded audio playback help

• Members

I am using this little unit: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/RC-20XL/

Basically, my band and I are using this as a mini sample unit to play pre recorded stuff through the house PA system. It's a 1/4" out and I currently use one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPK0S/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002ZPK5I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZT9SA0JZTS3FXTBAQ33 as an adapter to hook into the house PA (so that I don't have to use or depend on a Direct In box; I've had experiences where venues didn't have them on hand).

First off, are there any issues with running our sound this way? Any potential technical problems, or problems with sound techs just flat out refusing to allow this type of connection? I'm sure these are probably stupid questions, but I just wanted to ask....

Secondly, what should be my strategy for getting the volume to be equal across all of the pre recorded tracks so that they sound good when coming through the house system? Should I just peak all my sound files to around -6db and call it good? Assuming that I have equal db across all the sound files, how should I then go about sound checking this unit at a gig? How loud will a sound guy know to crank it? Do I just tell him to sound check the unit to the same volume as the whole band?

I guess I just don't know how to explain these things to a sound tech without feeling like an idiot, and I want to be sure to make his or her life as easy as possible on the night of a gig.

Thanks.

• Members

Awesome, thanks for the feedback agedhorse. Any thoughts on properly preparing the sound files to achieve the best sound at the gig?

My vocal pedal actually runs 1/4" out as well; there is no XLR output on the unit. I am thinking it's time I invested in a DI box of my own. Any thoughts on a DI box that may have 2 DI inputs/outputs in 1 unit? Just to save space on my pedal board. Actually, the more DI ins/outs, the merrier; it doesn't HAVE to be only 2 ins/outs.

• Members

How loud will a sound guy know to crank it?

He won't unless/until you tell him, and of course, you SHOULD tell him. Make that a part of your process during setup/soundcheck.

In various bands I play with, we may be sending sequences from a laptop and/or electronic percussion from a pad controller to FOH.

When working with a venue SE, we'll usually have a brief communication AHEAD of setting gear up that goes something like this:

SE: So what's your lineup again?

Me: 2 guitars, bass and drums. Lead vocal is center mic up front, but we need vocal mics at all 4 positions. We also send sequences from our laptop through a radial DI and I'll be giving you one line out from that.

Overall sequences should be mixed around the same as rhythm guitar; no need to ride the fader on that channel; we've already pre-mixed the sequence mix as needed.

OR

SE: Ok, what's with the electronics?

Me: I'll run a mono out from them into my DI and give you a feed from that.

(Then during soundcheck) SE: Ok, run through some of the eDrum sounds.

[Me hitting pads on several kits so SE knows range of sounds]

SE: How loud should that be relative to the rest of the drums/band?

Me: [Changing to specific sound that's the reference by which I base all others to be louder or quieter, and then hitting it in even quarter notes] This should be as loud in your mix as my snare drum is.

Done, everybody's happy, etc.

Archived