Is a pair of JBL MRX528S subs under a pair of JBL SRX715s a good matchup?

• Members

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of MRX528 subs for 1400 in excellent condition. The pair of tops and pair of subs would each be powered by a separate QSC 3602 run in stereo.

The seller said he'd also sell the pair of MRX528s with a Crown XTI4000 for 2000.

My first choice would be 4 SRX718 subs, but budget won't allow at the moment.

What do you think? Good setup? Would you also do the amp too?

This is for a guitar, bass, keys, drums, and vocal classic and new rock band playing rooms of 150 - 250 people.

Thanks.

• Members

Yeah it'd be a good matchup. 2x 718s would definitly outperform 1 528 with the same power but also the economics of the situation must be taken into account. The XTI4k can be bought used for around $6 since it's discontinued. The 528 sells for around $900ea, used I guess around 6ea. Thats 1800 for the lot.

But the 528 is managble on its own, add castors though. If the 718's were not something I could do then yeah, 528's.

• Members

For the size rooms you're talking I'd get two 718's over the 528's then get another pair later when you can afford it if needed.

While I agree with this the only reason why the 528's might be the better option will depend on the venues the OP is working at.

Sometimes you need to idiot proof your rig, when you do... a single 18 with a pole holding up a high pack is not the best option!

There are a few clubs that I work at where I would love to just bring in my single 18's with a pole a throw my nice and light RCF ART325i high packs up on them....the only problem is the rooms are too crowded with people just looking to lean and sit down on whatever they can.

Yes, most drunks in clubs don't understand that they can't crab onto the pole holding the highpack up and swing around on it like it is a stripper pole....and they also can't lean on it and expect it to hold there drunk *ss up!

This is why sometimes even though it is way overkill I have to bring in my larger system just to stop people from knocking over my smaller system!

• Members

My suggestion... You want 4 SRX718s but can only afford 2 SRX718s... Wel lmy solution is buy 2 SRX718s for now and then when funds become available, buy 2 more.

The single SRX718 will have a nice ballance with a SRx715 on a stick for most music but not Club Dance/Techno stuff, then again MRX528s won't do it as well.

In out store we have a slogan above the registar... "Buy Once, Cry Once"

• Members

While I agree with this the only reason why the 528's might be the better option will depend on the venues the OP is working at.

Sometimes you need to idiot proof your rig, when you do... a single 18 with a pole holding up a high pack is not the best option!

There are a few clubs that I work at where I would love to just bring in my single 18's with a pole a throw my nice and light RCF ART325i high packs up on them....the only problem is the rooms are too crowded with people just looking to lean and sit down on whatever they can.

Yes, most drunks in clubs don't understand that they can't crab onto the pole holding the highpack up and swing around on it like it is a stripper pole....and they also can't lean on it and expect it to hold there drunk *ss up!

This is why sometimes even though it is way overkill I have to bring in my larger system just to stop people from knocking over my smaller system!

My only issue with placing a single 15 on top of a dual 18 cab, is that your stack is no more than 6' high. Thus firing directly into people chest and 3 rows back they can't here s***.

• Members

My only issue with placing a single 15 on top of a dual 18 cab, is that your stack is no more than 6' high. Thus firing directly into people chest and 3 rows back they can't here s***.

+1

I always try to put the bottom of my top cabs at 6 feet. But the biggest/loudest cabs I have are Peavey Impulse 1012's that are fairly light and not tall - and I can't "do" the big ground stack R&R look that many bands are looking for :freak:.

• Members

I agree with you. If I went with the 528s, I'd mount a pole cup in one end and use a short, adjustable pole. Maybe 2' or so. Either that, or build small risers and finish them with Duratex to make them match the cabs.

Even if I go with 4 SRX715s, I'd do the same.

• Members

Don't bother with an adjustable pole, just buy one of those onstage speaker poles that are 1 3/8", cut it in half and you've got the right altitude. Also part of having a dual 18 is to say to your client "we have 2 dual 18s". It helps, it really does.

• Members

Also part of having a dual 18 is to say to your client "we have 2 dual 18s". It helps, it really does.

You client should be hiring you because they trust your skills.

I have a Rig with a total power rating of 4000/8000/16000 watts and will cover ~1500 people indoors for rock concerts without any problems. Don't belive me, google "dB Audiotechnik C-series" and check out their offerings. The rig we take is a 4 C4-Top, 4 C4-Sub and 4 B2 with a rack of 4 amps.

• Members

You client should be hiring you because they trust your skills.

This matters little though as perception is reality. You can try explaining X and Y to the prospective client, but if they are impressed with "big subs" you're just wasting your breath. I will say that, for my clientele, the opposite is true. They prefer, or demand, as compact setup as possible, yet still expect it to sound good and have appropriate volume for the room. That said, the big stuff also is also deemed as "looking loud". That perception is what some clients want and others do not.

• Members

I ended up buying a pair of SRX718s. I also have another set of 1x18 homemade subs, designed in Eminence Designer software, using Eminence Magnum LF 18 drivers. The frequency response is very similar to the SRX boxes, but mine are bigger and heavier. If I need to, I could use those under the SRX boxes until I can afford another pair of SRX boxes.

For most places, the client is a non-issue because this is for my own band. However, bands are transient, and I hope to run sound for other bands when (not "if") this one implodes... ;)

• Members

There are definitly reasons someone "should" hire me, having dual 18's have almost always been an asset. Actually having JBL Dual 18's has been the asset. JBL in the past hasn't really made a dual 18 less than the SRX line until now, so in most people's mind when you say JBL dual 18, the 4719x is what pops into most peoples brain. All I can say is that it helps.

• Members

Most of my hires don't care as they've never heard of any of the brands. They don't know JBL from QSC, FBT, RCF or EV. But as the PA is for one specific band, mine, the customer is the venue or the event and not the act. I don't have to worry about riders or brand recognition or prejudice. I can certainly see how name and size matters to different acts.

• Members

This matters little though as perception is reality. You can try explaining X and Y to the prospective client, but if they are impressed with "big subs" you're just wasting your breath. I will say that, for my clientele, the opposite is true. They prefer, or demand, as compact setup as possible, yet still expect it to sound good and have appropriate volume for the room. That said, the big stuff also is also deemed as "looking loud". That perception is what some clients want and others do not.

Soon, I'm going to be making and producing dummy cabs for PA speakers, the face of them will look like a KF850 over an SB850. That way you can hide your SOS rig behind and no one will ever notice.

Archived