Backing Track in Monitors

• Members

OK, so please don't turn this into a Backing tracks bashfest. Long story short I have backing tracks with a click on the left channel and drums on the right. I will have a yamaha MG166CX mixer http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-MG166CX-LIST

I was going to take a headphone out of the mp3 player and rca left into channel 13 rca right into channel 15. If I do this will the backing track that the crowd is supposed to hear only come out the right speaker? also what is the correct way to route the monitor signal to my galaxy in ear wireless system?

• Members

should work. note that on my smaller yamaha MG if i want an RCA input routed right i have to only use the RIGHT input on that channel, counter intuitive from the 1/4" inputs on other boards but makes sense if you think about it but i dont think this applies to what you are saying.

for your in ears you could for example just use aux 1 to route to them. does this help? i can try and describe it better if you need.

• Members

Use a post fader aux for the backing track if you can switch the aux sends on a channel by channel basis. That way as you change the fader nlevel on the backing track the level in the monitor tracks this change... for example if you fade out the track, the monitor fades out with it and the audience doesn't hear the monitor playing away.

• Members

+1 on the post fade.. BUT better is to make sure any fadeouts that may need to happen are within the backing track itself so whomever is mixing doesn't have to be cue'd to fade out.

If your drummer is hearing the click then the best solution is to get a very small mixer (1xlr, 2 stereo) and run the click in ch2, seq in ch3 and a monitor mix into the XLR input (ch1). Split the sequence channel with a DI and send the XLR output to the house PA and the line level to the drum submixer. The drummer will have complete control of what he/she hears and won't have to flag you down while playing to fix something routine.

• Members

I have no drummer I am a solo act. my main concern was running just one side of the rca inputs on the monitor would result in a signal only being sent to half of the mains.

in my experience with my yamaha MG mixer, it will only go to one side. you may need to use a 1/4" input channel or use a split to go to both rca inputs on the rca input channel.

what questions do you have about monitor routing? we do want to help, we just dont know what you need help with.

• Members
in my experience with my yamaha MG mixer, it will only go to one side. you may need to use a 1/4" input channel or use a split to go to both rca inputs on the rca input channel.

what questions do you have about monitor routing? we do want to help, we just dont know what you need help with.

Thanks for the help. I want the backing tracks to come out of both speakers so I will need an RCA -> 1/4 " Adapter I guess? I want the backing tracks in my right in ear, click in left and my guitar and vocal in both if possible. Sorry for being vague, not really sure how to ask the questions right I guess.

• Members

it looks like on your mixer that if you use 1/4" TS input on channel 9/10 on the LEFT side only it routes to both left and right, which is typical. the RCA channels dont do this, so you would need a cable that connects to your ipod and has 1/4" TS on the other end. then you could use channel 9/10 for a click and channels 11/12 for backing tracks.

on your mixer the rca channels also have TS inputs but they are not marked L/MONO so i asuume they are not; i take from the marking that using the TS LEFT on the rca channels would route LEFT and not LEFT/RIGHT.

so if for example you use a 1/4" cable to connect your in ears to your mixer, you could use aux 1 output to do so and hook this output to the in ears input. then you could use aux 1 send on each channel to create a monitor mix for only you to hear in your ears, and use the faders for the audience.

you can use any available aux, and its up to you to choose pre or post. since you are asking these questions i would keep things simple and stick with aux one (pre) for now until you get a better handle on these things, then advance from here. when you use PRE your fader moves will not affect the AUX mix, and you may decide later that you do want the AUX mix to follow the faders.

Archived