TS, TRS, Hi and Lo impedance question.

• Members

Background: I have a PV14 mixer, and the only monitor out jack is a 1/4" TRS. I have a Soundtech monitor amp with a clearly labeled 1/4" unbalanced input, and the only way it functions correctly is if I use a TS cable to connect the two, TRS produces hardly any sound. I now have a powered speaker with both TRS 1/4" and XLR inputs, both rated at input impedance of 20k ohms. I also have an XLR female to 1/4" TS male line transformer I bought years ago for plugging a mic into a guitar amp, and it labels the XLR end as input of 500 ohms and the TS as output at 50K ohms. I also have an active DI box with TRS 1/4" input and XLR output.

Question - what methods are valid for connecting the monitor out to the powered speaker?

1) How long of a TRS cable can you run without problems?

2) Is using the transformer in the reverse direction safe and appropriate?

3) Is the DI box the best bet for runs longer than the answer to #1?

Thanks!!!

Edited to add: questions 1 and 2 were based on the impression that 1/4" connectors meant cables that weren't suitable for long runs. A little more thought leads me to conclude that was erroneous, and the real issue is balanced vs. unbalanced, which seems to imply TRS vs. TS in 1/4" plugs. So, as long as we are using balanced lines, we can run quite a ways without problems, no?

• Members

1) How long of a TRS cable can you run without problems?

2) Is using the transformer in the reverse direction safe and appropriate?

3) Is the DI box the best bet for runs longer than the answer to #1?

Thanks!!!

Edited to add: questions 1 and 2 were based on the impression that 1/4" connectors meant cables that weren't suitable for long runs. A little more thought leads me to conclude that was erroneous, and the real issue is balanced vs. unbalanced, which seems to imply TRS vs. TS in 1/4" plugs. So, as long as we are using balanced lines, we can run quite a ways without problems, no?

Correct ... if you are balanced (and to be balanced it MUST be balanced on BOTH ends) you can run hundreds of feet.

The transformer was meant for "mic" level. If you run it at "line" level you will saturate it and cause a lot of distortion. Save yourself a lot of grief, call Mark at Audiopile and get the proper cables for your gear. He'll make sure you get the right ones.

• Members

Actually, I went out a lunch and found TRS male to XLR male adapter for $10.50. I always have some spare XL cables, so I think I'm set.

Thanks for the info and advice.

One question, though, if you'll indulge me. Are the transformers truly directional, or are they just labelled that way so that the typical customer will understand their intended use? IOW, is it possible to there could be a need to run the transformer backwards, say maybe as a substitute for a DI, or will current flowing through it in the opposite direction let some magic smoke out of the signal chain somewhere?

• Members

One question, though, if you'll indulge me. Are the transformers truly directional, or are they just labelled that way so that the typical customer will understand their intended use? IOW, is it possible to there could be a need to run the transformer backwards, say maybe as a substitute for a DI, or will current flowing through it in the opposite direction let some magic smoke out of the signal chain somewhere?

It will work, but you'll have to play all of your songs backwards :lol:

Archived