Crossover Network in JBL SRX715s -- passive vs biamp tuning

• Members

Does the passive crossover network in the JBL SRX715s also have built-in eq'ing? In full-range mode, I tweaked the PEQs with the biamped tunings recommended in the Driverack 260, and they didn't sound as good with these settings in comparison to leaving the PEQs flat. Comparing the biamp tuning to the flat passive tuning was very similar sounding, so I was wondering if the passive crossover network also had some built-in eq'ing. Thanks.

• Members

I just spoke with someone at JBL, and you are correct there -- there is eq'ing in the crossover network when running passive that simulates the recommended PEQ tuning in the Driverack when running in bi-amp mode. I was curious if this was the case since there are no PEQ tweaks in the Driverack when running in passive mode.

Were you actually biamping the 715???

If you want to use the biamp tuning, you must bi-amp.

Yes, there is some HF eq in the passive crossover.

• Members

I just spoke with someone at JBL, and you are correct -- there is eq'ing in the crossover network when running passive that simulates the recommended PEQ tuning in the Driverack when running in bi-amp mode. I was curious if this was the case since there are no PEQ tweaks in the Driverack when running in passive mode.

Were you actually biamping the 715???

If you want to use the biamp tuning, you must bi-amp.

Yes, there is some HF eq in the passive crossover.

• Members

I was curious if this was the case since there are no PEQ tweaks in the Driverack when running in passive mode.

Correct, that's why I questioned if you were biamping or not. Otherwise you will apply double the HF lift eq needed and it will not sound very good.

Archived