• Members

Disappointing show live-sound wise. The last time I had been was 5 or six years ago, and every major speaker, console, amp and processor manufacturer was there representing. This year, most of the floor was taken up by overpriced fancy-looking Chinese made mics and pre-amps. Only one speaker demo on-site by Renkus-Heinz showing off their IC2 stuff. I did get to hear an off-site demo of the new L'acoustics line-up, which was great. And of course bumping into a few manufacturers and reps that I only get to see once or twice a year was fun.

Dan, how was it from an exhibitor's standpoint?

• Members

Disappointing show live-sound wise. The last time I had been was 5 or six years ago, and every major speaker, console, amp and processor manufacturer was there representing. This year, most of the floor was taken up by overpriced fancy-looking Chinese made mics and pre-amps. Only one speaker demo on-site by Renkus-Heinz showing off their IC2 stuff. I did get to hear an off-site demo of the new L'acoustics line-up, which was great. And of course bumping into a few manufacturers and reps that I only get to see once or twice a year was fun.

Dan, how was it from an exhibitor's standpoint?

It wasn't bad. It was a smaller show than in years past, but that's been a trend lately. Friday was mobbed; Saturday started slow, then picked up; Sunday was slow. The poker game was well-attended. and more popular than I expected.

I'd like to see a bit more diversity in the expo. Currently, it's dominated by guys in the same market we are, targeting small/mid music studios. While that may be ok from my Mercenary/business perspective, personally, I'd like to see a broader array of things. There's tons of stuff going on in broadcast, films, and games that never gets displayed - I'd guess because those folks focus mainly on other conventions (e.g. NAB, GDC).

-Dan.

Archived