Just a heads up for you Yamaha DSR crowd

• Members

Fedex was good to me today - and delivered the new DSR112s I ordered this morning. I just spent the last 3 hours playing with 'em in my reheasal space. All I can say is WOW! I bought 'em for use as stage monitors for my keyboard rig - replacing a pair of JBL JXR112M's and a QSC RMX1450 (The JXRs and RMX1450 are being repurposed as part of PA vocal monitor rig). While I expected the DSRs to be an improvement - I wasn't expecting the difference I heard today! Keeping in mind that I'm using them solely for my keys - I'm comparing how they handle keyboard sounds (pianos, organs, horns, strings, etc.) as opposed to "whole song" program material. The low end is plentiful without being boomy. The high end is clean and crisp without getting that harsh "clanky" sound the old JXRs got a any sort of volume. What I like best is the smoothness throughout the middle ranges. There's none of that "harshness" that the JXRs had when playing in the upper registers and/or a volume.

I can't help be feel that in the role as keyboard monitors - the DSRs are pretty much idling - which means I'm going to have headroom to burn. I'm really looking forward to Saturday when I'll get a chance to test drive 'em on a bar gig. I think I'm gonna be a happy camper!

• Members

Well - they are $1143ea here (cheapest i found so far). And for something made in Asia - which is half a word closer to us - i think it's pretty bad. IMO.

But i see your point - it's a closer gap than most things have for sure.

PRX - $1400AU -vs- $600US for example.

Yep we are sure paying through the nose for quality gear in Australia.

I can underdstand it for heavy or bulky items but it appears to be accross the board.

I was much happier before the internet enabled me to know how much the rest of the world is paying. Ignorance was bliss!

Cheers

• Members

Hi guys,

Just to chime in here the new Yamaha DSR's are the real deal. They sound great and have plenty of power. They are doing rebates to get attention in my opinion. There are a ton of powered speakers out there and lot of good ones. We sell many of those brands as well. In order to get some attention to your products you have to make some kind of splash and the rebate is Yamaha's way of doing that.

I haven't ever liked Yamaha powered speakers in the past and I was very skeptical of these at first as well, especially since they are somewhat heavier than offerings from QSC, JBL, FBT, RCF, insert 3 letter name here. Why are so many speaker companies just 3 letters anyway??? After hearing these and comparing them to the other speakers we sell I think they did a really good job on these. They sound so good for the money in fact I'm willing to forgive the fact that they are little heavier then other things on the market. Worth a listen if you are considering powered speakers.

"They sound so good for the money..."

Would you elaborate a bit please? This is the hottest/most realistic price point for many folks, so having an experienced ear of someone whos heard all the majors side by side would be great, even if its bracketed with "in my opinion".

I've been surprised there hasn't been more said about these speakers, but I guess with so many great speakers in this price range becoming available in the last coupla years, this one came out a year or two too late to generate the kind of buzz the K series and the PRX 6xxx lines have generated.

For example, some of the comparison reviews for the DSR112 I've heard talk about a tighter low end, sweeter mids, and higher overall volume than others in this price range. Haven't heard that much about the DSR115. Do you sell many of these compared to others in this price range?

• Members

IMO, they (DSR, KW, PRX) are all reasonable, acceptable options. The strong and weak points are at this level pretty minor differences. Things like weight are probably most significant.

I agree.

The PRX is so light it is nearly impossible to believe the output it obtains. The KW has a sound as good (or perhaps even a bit better) as the DSR112, but is quite a bit more expensive (~ $1100 ea vs ~700 ea).

The DSR112 has a beefier bottom than the PRX IMHO.

As you stated, all of these speakers are comfortably in the same league (way above JRX stuff, and significantly below SRX stuff). They are also priced comfortably between these offerings.

• Members

The DSR112 has a beefier bottom than the PRX IMHO.

The DSR's "D-Contour" feature appears to really play a role in the "bringing the beefy bottom" - especially at lower volumes. According to the manual it "boosts and high and low frequencies when the volume level is low and reduces the amount of boost when the volume level is high".

I've been playing with my new DSR112s and gotta say - the amount of "auto-boost" is significant - especially at low levels. At very low levels - the auto-boost is almost too much. I'm finding I need to use care to ensure that any channel strip input is EQ'd flat when I'm playing a very low volume - or the compensation can push the bass to the point of being a little on the "boomy" side.

• Members

The DSR's "D-Contour" feature appears to really play a role in the "bringing the beefy bottom" - especially at lower volumes. According to the manual it "boosts and high and low frequencies when the volume level is low and reduces the amount of boost when the volume level is high".

I've been playing with my new DSR112s and gotta say - the amount of "auto-boost" is significant - especially at low levels. At very low levels - the auto-boost is almost too much. I'm finding I need to use care to ensure that any channel strip input is EQ'd flat when I'm playing a very low volume - or the compensation can push the bass to the point of being a little on the "boomy" side.

what is that? is that selectable? sounds wanky what happends when the level softens on a broadly dynamic mix?

• Members

what is that? is that selectable? sounds wanky what happends when the level softens on a broadly dynamic mix?

The "it boosts the high and low frequencies when the volume is low...." in my original note is a direct quote from the manual. Yamaha calls it their "D-Contour" feature. There is button on the on the amplifer connection and control section that engages / disengages the feature.

As far as your "what happens?" question goes - I'll be honest and say that I don't feel I've fully put the feature through it's paces yet (I've been playing my keys through 'em in my personal rehearsal space - which is a 14' x 16' room off of my family room). I've cranked 'em up a little .... but have pretty much been playing 'em at very low volumes (lest I distibute Mrs. Spacenorman's "Lifetime Channel" experience...). It was the surprising bass response at such low volume that got me referring to the manual. I'm hoping to get a little bit of "wank me, crank me" time with 'em tomorrow to get a better feel for exactly how the D-Contour feature behaves at different volumes.

• Members

I use my DSRs for FOH tops over subs. I have found that keeping the D-Countour OFF provides a really good mix. With it engaged, I like the bottom boost, but the highs are a bit much for me. If I want the punch at 90-130Hz, I dial it in on the bass and/or kick at that frequency. The DSR's seem to respond well to that.

Archived