Considering adding to my sound set up. Need opinion

• Members

Ok, so as far as my current setup, take a look at my signature below. I play solo acoustic/vocals. Mostly country/rock/blues. I'm thinking about adding a compressor and possibly a graphic EQ. I know the graphic EQ could improve the sound. Since I have to operate sound myself and have to kind of get things set up before performing, how difficult will that be? I know if I am tweaking out sound for someone else I can do a pretty good job of getting it set right during their first couple of songs. But I also know that adding more to the mix can muddy things up if you don't use it right.

Ive never used a compressor. Are they pretty easy to set up? Anyone used these for my type of application?

• Members

If you don't have a problem, don't fix it. An EQ is used for feedback issues mostly. It could also cause you problems, especially if you boost too much of any given frequency. Don't fix what's not broke. If you are to purchase an eq, I suggest that it be used in your monitor setup as these have more opf a tendency to feedback.

• Members

Anthony,

You have a great looking equipment list. Very similar in many respects, to what I'm using for solo/duo/trio stuff. I love the sound of my EFX-8, and the ND-767a is an excellent mic in my experience; crystal-clear and superb gain-before-feedback characteristics.

Have you a specific reason for wanting to try a compressor and/or graphic EQ? Are you thinking about sculpting a specific tone, or creating a certain vocal effect? What exactly is it about your present tone, that you think could use some improvement? Are you playing with backing tracks? Do you think your system could have a lil' more bottom-end? Warmth? Are you judging your "sound" by what you're hearing in the monitor,,, or what your audience is hearing thru the mains?

Have you ever experimented with a subwoofer? or, with another main that has a lil' more bottom-end right out of the box? I'm using Yorkville NX-55p's for this very reason, and they do a great job IMO.

• Members

It seems to me that if your set up sounds good--and that doesn't suprise me, given what you've got--I don't see the need to add a compressor or a 31 band graphic EQ. It seems to me that if you want to work on improving the sound, you might want to concentrate on the pickup systems in your guitars. Maybe consider adding a mic (internal or external) for a richer, more acoustic sound?

Louis

Archived