I got off my backside and did some work!

MarvelUndies

• Members

Not a lot of work, mind.

I've had this weird guitar for a good few years now. It's always been a bit of a favourite because it feels nice and sounds great. In fact, it possibly has the best tone of all my guitars all round. Some excel at certain things, but this one does everything beautifully and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Only thing I wasn't 100% on was the looks. Recently, I took the pickups out with the intention of putting them in one of my Ibanez. But I decided against it because that guitar was fine. Why take that away from it?

So, with a newfound appreciation for it, I put it back together again and did some minor aesthetic changes I'd always wanted for it. Installed a couple of pickup rings and changed the knob, as well as swapping a few of the troublesome stiff machine heads for some of my spares.

Behold!

Before:

SUC50964.jpg

And after:

IMG_20160908_153116.jpg

• Members

As far as I can figure it, it's a copy of a Music Man Axis. The brand is Rhino, which I've encountered only a couple of times since buying this one about six years ago. It's probably Korean, going by the build quality and materials. Feels like Unsung factory, if I had to guess. No idea how old it could be, though

• Members

That was part of my decision to use rings, sadly. The routing wasn't quite big enough to allow for the pickup mounts so they got snagged a lot when I went to adjust them. For some reason, having them on rings gets rid of that problem. Though perhaps it's just me not being used to pickups mounted straight onto the body.

• Members

Black would have been my first choice. I think I had those ivory ones come with a pair of Wilkinsons, but the guitar they went in had a pick guard so the rings were spare. It's just the one pot, no push/pull. I wouldn't object to some kind of tone control, though. The cleans that thing is capable of would definitely benefit from it

Archived