Rickenbacker B16A Supersonic amp info needed

Tomm Williams

• Members

Vintage gear seems to keep rising these days. Does better then many financial investments too considering how badly you do investing with banks these days. Of course its a gamble on finding a buyer but what isn't a gamble. You at least get to enjoy it as its collecting value. There aren't may options out there that doo the same. Most of my vintage gear has quadrupled in value. I may have been able to do better with the money but I'd still have to pay for some kind of entertainment.

• Members

I guess the best way to look at this is first off, this is a pretty cool amp and there don't seem to be many left.. It is after all an iconic brand with a great history in music and its followers. At this point in time, the ROI might not be there but I have a solid feeling it will be down the road. Until then I'll just enjoy playing it.

• Members

Heres a cool site for the piggy back version. http://c-nelson.com/1960s-rickenbacker-supersonic-b-16/

These are some values on the amp.

[TABLE=border: 1, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0]

[TR]

[TD] Sample type[/TD]

[TD] Min[/TD]

[TD] Avg[/TD]

[TD] Median[/TD]

[TD] Max[/TD]

[TD] Sample Size[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Same model, same era: [/TD]

[TD] $637[/TD]

[TD] $1004[/TD]

[TD] $1218[/TD]

[TD] $1350[/TD]

[TD] 4[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This 1958 B16 is slightly different in its cab shape. Name plates on the opposite side too. Maybe its the non Vibrato version.

In this condition it would bring top dollar. If you look over by the piolet light the Tolex looks creased. This one may have been re-tolexed. Cant see it being this pristine for its age. There's no yellowing at all, yet the knobs look very worn in comparison to the cab itself.

fetch?filedataid=119497

This worn B16A sold for 675 on Reverb.

fetch?filedataid=119498

• Members

I saved that piggyback photo so I can send it to JDesign Cabs as it should help. Given those numbers, I would have to admit this project will be in the negative by the time it's done. However there is simply an appeal to me with this amp as you just don't see them often. Intangibles I guess.

Archived