Need help finding synth pad sounds - please read!

• Members

Dear Everyone.

Well this is SOUND and stage, so I thought it would be the best place to post this....

I KNOW it's a ghastly 'Where Do They Get That Sound From question but I'm gonna keep it short and sweet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvQ4oUMAJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waldWijiQDs

Three links. The last one's a LEETLE different because the pads are the main instrument as it were, but the question's the same for all three and ESPECIALLY FOR THE FIRST TWO, which use the pad BEHIND the other sounds. Which is what I want to do, mainly - the third one would be a bonus! (Third one's Yellow Brick Orchestra who have the best pads I've ever heard and totally refuse to divulge where they get them from. I've asked them. The first one - not trying to colour anyone's thinking - MIGHT be a Korg Kronos cos I know the guy Med Goodall has one on rackmount. And they've just released a software version of the Kronos sounds. If you REALLY think those kinda pads would be in the Kronos collection tell me, if there's a freebie pad-synth that can do passable background pads I'll have that too, as I've put down the end.)

Right. All together, guys'n'gals. And for the main prize tonight - Where Do They Get Those Sounds From!?! Seriously - hopefully as presets on something, or if there's a freebie with nice 'wallpaper' pads to hang foreground sounds on - like in the first two examples - that would be awesome. Something that has the pads THERE, it doesn't matter if they get lost a bit in the other sounds, but they're providing a bit of frequency-beef and they're there sounding nice when nothing else is happening. What's annoying is they all sound pretty basic to me but I cannot find them anywhere. And I've looked. For longer than I care to think about.

Anyone know anything, samples, soundfonts, anything? I mean the guys in the first two examples use the same four sounds all the time, most tracks, so I'm reckoning they're presets on SOMETHING - I don't even mind if they're not exactly the same sounds as long as they sound background and don't stick out all the time - if that 'background-y' effect is caused by using effects ON a pad, I'd love a head's up on that as well because I'm not really too sure how the effect's done, just know I wanna be able to do it too!

Yours hopefully - should that be hope-LESS-ly!?!

Chris.

• Members

I had a friend that had a Kronos and I believe I remember hearing pads very similar to the ones you posted. Korg is known for those types of sounds going all the back to the M1 back in the 90s. There are some good demos of this on youtube. Listening back again it sounds like the entire album might have been done on a Kronos. Korg's pad sounds are perfect for all the new age type recordings and much more.

• Members

Dear Jazzgitter. You're right, I'd not heard the Kronos pads before because I'd just assumed they'd sound too 80's, but you're right. NorCtrack have released it as an affordable - as in saveuppable-for-in-my-lifetime on my current salary! - Kontakt instruments.

I'm not marking this as TOTALLY solved - because I'm very interested in seeing what ideas other people come up with - someone might know of a stack of free samples out there that could do it if manipulated into soundfonts, which I can create, something like that. But I'm putting your answer on my Definitely Maybe list and looking forwards to what anyone else says!

Yours with great respect

Chris.

• Members

Hi,

Having listened to the videos I think most of those kinds of pads are available with the KVR31 Synthmaster plugin. It's not a freebee but very reasonable in price, and will provide with a huge sound library. I like the plugin very much and use it all the time.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members
Dear Everyone.

Well this is SOUND and stage, so I thought it would be the best place to post this....

I KNOW it's a ghastly 'Where Do They Get That Sound From question but I'm gonna keep it short and sweet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvQ4oUMAJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waldWijiQDs

Three links. The last one's a LEETLE different because the pads are the main instrument as it were, but the question's the same for all three and ESPECIALLY FOR THE FIRST TWO, which use the pad BEHIND the other sounds. Which is what I want to do, mainly - the third one would be a bonus! (Third one's Yellow Brick Orchestra who have the best pads I've ever heard and totally refuse to divulge where they get them from. I've asked them. The first one - not trying to colour anyone's thinking - MIGHT be a Korg Kronos cos I know the guy Med Goodall has one on rackmount. And they've just released a software version of the Kronos sounds. If you REALLY think those kinda pads would be in the Kronos collection tell me, if there's a freebie pad-synth that can do passable background pads I'll have that too, as I've put down the end.)

Right. All together, guys'n'gals. And for the main prize tonight - Where Do They Get Those Sounds From!?! Seriously - hopefully as presets on something, or if there's a freebie with nice 'wallpaper' pads to hang foreground sounds on - like in the first two examples - that would be awesome. Something that has the pads THERE, it doesn't matter if they get lost a bit in the other sounds, but they're providing a bit of frequency-beef and they're there sounding nice when nothing else is happening. What's annoying is they all sound pretty basic to me but I cannot find them anywhere. And I've looked. For longer than I care to think about.

Anyone know anything, samples, soundfonts, anything? I mean the guys in the first two examples use the same four sounds all the time, most tracks, so I'm reckoning they're presets on SOMETHING - I don't even mind if they're not exactly the same sounds as long as they sound background and don't stick out all the time - if that 'background-y' effect is caused by using effects ON a pad, I'd love a head's up on that as well because I'm not really too sure how the effect's done, just know I wanna be able to do it too!

Yours hopefully - should that be hope-LESS-ly!?!

Chris.

Check out this page.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChLGwGiRVs7rlZXnOG9_mUw

Lots of his sounds come from the Dave Smith Prophet 8. Its probably more than you`d like to spend but geez.... he does some amazing work, at least in my opinion he does. Thats the first synth I thought of when I heard the links you put up.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Prophet08PE

The Omnisphere is also another synth you could probably get those sounds out of... its software and a bit cheaper than the DSI.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Omnisphere2

Archived