Recording Question for you...

• Members

I recorded our last show with a Tascam DR3 set on a table right in front of the band. The only problem is (was) that I didn't have time to reduce the input sensativity on the built-in mic, so the recordings sound overmodulated. Is there any way now, after the fact, to cleant this mess up?

I doubt it, but just thought I'd ask.

• Members

For the record... some audio editors like the one I use (Samplitude) have a de-clipping function that works by interpolation. It makes an educated guess at what the missing audio should sound like at the clipped point, by referencing what came just before and after.

But that only works for clipped transients, like a brief spike in the audio with some hash on it. If you have large portions of sawed-off waveforms, or the entire track is just a brick wave, then it can't be rescued.

• Members

Nope, obce the waveform is distorted, the undistorted information is lost for good.

Yes, there are some software processing options that will attempt to extrapolate what should have been there but generally they work best on simpler waveforms like speech and don't work all that well on the more complex waveforms.

(I am specifically excluding very costly and more dedicated processes that are used by the cinema and recording industry for recovering very valuable assets. This falls outside the budgets of those of us here. Maybe Todd can enlighten him on what he might work with at his day job?)

Archived